ANGORA RABBIT Hair Problem-help....

tobin123

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
fountaintown,indiana
We have noticed during the grooming of my big boy that he has had this white flaky stuff and now he is loosing hair, help. We are trying to research before this gets worse we have 2 does and want to be prepared. We have read that it might be MITES so we went ahead and did the cat flea treatment. He is eating/drinking and pooping/peeing just fine. THANKS:)

Last edited:
Treat him for lice, most of these treatments will also work on dandruff, which is more than likely all it is, but if its a really stubborn case a betadine wash works wonders.

How long since his last shearing? He shouldnt be shedding his fleece is he is angora -- pygora or cashgora yes. But angora, no, unless there are serious problems.

Have you got minerals available for him?

We have never sheered him(I trim him and comb weekly)he is purebred english. So far what I have been reading and have seen pictures of it describes mites.

Can you post a picture of him?

English - bred Angora goats shouldnt lose their fibre. But then again you shouldnt comb these goats either. Which makes me think that maybe we are talking about different breeds here?

Does he look like this?

ang1.jpg

Although trimming regularly is fine, if you have done this for a while it would really do him a world of good to be completely shorn. Give his skin time to heal.

You can topically or orally apply 1/10 cc per pound of Ivermectin 1% and if he has lice or mites that will take care of it. Cat or dog products have pyrethrins in them which can be toxic especially since bunnies lick themselves.

Another possibility is fungus/ringworm especially since its getting hotter right now if its humid at all with their thick coat they can get that. Are the bald patches pink or scaley at all? If so you can treat the bald patches with a tea tree oil or a betadine type product.

How do I know which one to get, I called the Farm Store and they were telling me that there are several types(just for sheep, cows)? I want to be careful not to hurt or kill him. Should I go ahead and give it to the does that he has been breeding?

Back
Top Bottom