Angora Rabbit new to our home I must be going crazy!!!

anyone????
bun.gif

Hi!
bun.gif

If this rabbit was litter trained at some point, I'm going to assume that it isn't a baby. In that case, sexing it should be fairly straightforward, if very personal
hide.gif

If you can get someone to help you with this, great. It can be done by one person, but it usually takes some practice to be able to hold a rabbit securely with one hand/arm. It can also be done by holding the rabbit in your lap, which might be easier.

First, turn the rabbit over, so its feet are pointing up. Take the tail between your first two fingers and gently pull it toward the rabbit's backbone. At the base of the tail is a little bump, with the rabbit's anus and the "other opening" on it. Press just in front of the "other opening" with your thumb. If the animal is a doe, the "other opening" is her vulva, and it will be a slit. It will stand up only at the end away from the anus, and have an overall V-shape. If the animal is a buck, the opening will be round. Pressing like this causes his penis to pop up - it may be small, but you can't mistake it! Of course, mature bucks also have visible testicles. Every other mammal I can think of has them together in one scrotum, but a rabbit has two; one on either side. If this guy was neutered, he may not have testicles, but there should be a little extra skin there. A scared/cold rabbit can pull his testicles into his body, but once again, there is a little extra tissue to show where they should be. Bare patches don't count, because does have those, too.

The initial is in the left ear, correct? That's a tattoo that the breeder put there for identification purposes. Some people may or may not tattoo rabbits that they don't intend to show, but you can't show a rabbit that isn't tattooed. Some of my rabbits' tattoos are their names; it's easier for a judge to read a word than an unrelated series of numbers or letters.

You are going to need to brush this rabbit regularly, how much will partly depend on what type of angora it is. Pictures would be helpful (hint, hint!)

Last edited:
Cute Bunny. They are pretty easy to keep. My cats get along with my bunnies too. Just feed rabbit pellets and hay. Greens are okay for a treat but do not over do it or they will get runny poo. since you have a hairy breed furballs can cause constipation. Feeding applesauce or canned pineapple has releived this for me in the past. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom