Angry Black Sex-link hen

Dog Goatee

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
This is my first post. I am new to having backyard chickens. I have two beutiful black sex-link hens who just began laying. I did a lot of research on the internet and decided to get this this mix breed because I thought they were docile and good egg layers. The hens have full free range of the yard. One of my hens (Myrtle) is very sweet and docile and will jump on my lap to be petted. My other hen (Wanda) tries to attack me whenever I'm in the yard especially when I'm gathering the eggs. I want to know how I can calm Wanda down to be more like her sister Myrtle. Getting rid of Wanda is not a option. I am keeping both hens untill they die of natural causes

I don't have any of the BSL or Black Stars but I have some of the RSL or Red STars. They are great egg layers as well. I only have out of like 13 1 that will come to me (she actually went broody last year and hatched out 3 babies). The rest are skiddish. I seem to think that is is because we got them when most of them were 17 weeks old and getting ready to lay.

Now when you say she is attacking you what is she exactly doing? Mine will come up and peck my pants or if I am sitting my jacket, shirt or whatever else I have on. I think that all chickens are totally different like kids are. Some are more laid back and some are high geared and bundles of energy.

We got an order of 25 babies March of 2009 and received Delawares, White Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, EE, Silver Spangled Hamburgs. Each of these have different personalities as well. Some will hope into my lap and others will run away if I even look at them. Same breeds just different. I have a Delaware hen "Nellie" that will hop onto my back whenever I lean over or am sitting down. She likes to be the highest chick in the garden.

Did you get them as chicks or hens? Maybe Wanda is just stand-offish and needs to be held more. I have sex-links and hadn't picked them up too much as chicks. As adults, when the girls do their submissive squat, I pick them up and pet them. They have all gotten friendlier and you can pet them. They aren't as friendly as Lulu, the lame runt / part-time house chicken but they don't peck at me. When you start to pick her up offer her a treat as a reward for allowing you to do it. I think treats and patience is the key. They also have their own personalities and not all are as friendly. I also think you have to let Wanda know that you are the top of the pecking order not her. Good luck and welcome to BYC.
thumbsup.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for your response. Wanda will peck hard at my hands when I'm on my hands and knees planting and attack the my legs when I am gathering eggs. She drew blood this morning when she pecked my knee cap. I have a high pain threshold so it didn't really hurt anything but my feeling.
smile.png

I got them as 2 day old chicks. They were handled a lot. Wanda was the shy one untill she turned 5 months old

I have a Black Australorp that attacks me. I think she's trying to dominate me, and I think she's trying to do some of the "rooster stuff" in her flock, being bossy and protective. My other hens are sweeties.

I finally had enough today when I caught her eyeing my ankles as I walked through the yard. I picked her up, flipped her upside down and held her like a baby, and told her to knock it off, 'cuz I'm the boss and not her. It works with cats sometimes, but I don't know if it's gonna help her attitude.

Like you, I've committed to keeping all my hens. "Shadow" is my 10-year-old's hen, so threatening to stew her is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom