Anhydrous Ammonia Injected into the fields - issue or not?

Hillywu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Indiana, PA
I just found out that the person who leases the land our farm is on is having anhydrous ammonia injected into the corn fields around our house. The one field is fairly close to our chicken coop. The weather has been VERY hot here (well, VERY hot for Western PA :eek:) I have been allowing our chicks out in our yard, within our fenced in area. The coop is not quite finished and is just too darn hot right now. Anyway, what concerns should I have with this for the chickens? Will they be okay if allowed to free range in our yard? There's no way I can shut them in the coop with the windows shut. They'd all die from the heat. I know this is all jumbled up and probably doesn't make sense. I'm just concerned and trying to find out what to do. If there's a different place I should post this, please let me know. My chicks are about 12 weeks and 8 weeks.

Thanks so much!

It looks like the original question did not get a very specific answer. I'm having the same problem. The neighbor right behind our house is spraying anhydrous this evening. The smell outside is so strong I can't stand it. Will a short term, but strong exposure harm the birds? I have a bunch of juvenile meaties, as well as a brooding Turkey and adult flock.

Last edited:
It looks like the original question did not get a very specific answer. I'm having the same problem. The neighbor right behind our house is spraying anhydrous this evening. The smell outside is so strong I can't stand it. Will a short term, but strong exposure harm the birds? I have a bunch of juvenile meaties, as well as a brooding Turkey and adult flock.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031
this link discusses eye problems with ammonia toxicity...but is talking about inside the coop

Back
Top Bottom