Animal Attack/Hen Injury

Gremalkin

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2015
PA
Between 3 and 4 AM Wednesday morning (about 41 hours ago) we were woken by our cats running across the roof repeatedly and then our dog barking. We heard a small chicken noise outside our window and went outside to investigate. Something had gotten through our chicken wire and into the coop and there were chickens everywhere. My dog immediately started tracking and we think he chased something off thru the woods between the development to the side of us and the creek behind us. Final count from our very first flock of 12 straight run chicks (born in March): 6 dead roosters, 3 dead hens, 1 rooster still in shock/tired but improving, 1 rooster seems to be ok although keeps crowing for his flock. He started crowing and looking for everyone when the sun came up on that horrible morning. :-( The final hen was found about 150-200 yards away from the coop, by a tree partway down the hill to the creek, on her side with legs sticking out and barely breathing - short shallow little pants. Only one bird had any obvious damage - our little rooster with attitude had cuts on his comb and side of his face, he put up a good fight. All the other dead ones were clean and intact except for missing feathers (primarily tail) which were all over the yard. About 4 of the dead birds look like they were moved back to the coop area after being caught/killed elsewhere (feathers were in other part of yard). Opinions are ranging from dog to fox to coyote as the attacker, but I'm leaning towards dog or coyote based on some tracks we found and the carnage observed.

My post is actually about my surviving hen. She is a Rhode Island Red, 4 months old. I have been keeping her in a box in the bedroom with a towel propping her up slightly. A gentle inspection found some blood around her neck, but we have not located any puncture wounds or deep cuts. I did rinse saline water all over her neck area to be safe. We also felt a bit for broken bones, and did not feel anything obvious. Note that we did not want to stress or injure her more, so we may have missed something small in our quick inspection.

She cannot stand on her legs, although she does try when held upright - she just flops over to one side or another. At first, she could not even hold her head up so we offered her food and water every couple of hours by putting the dish right at her beak. She did start drinking within a couple of hours, although it is always very little - sometimes just slurping up the drops of the end of her beak, and she does not drink every time offered. This afternoon, 36 hours after the attack, she finally ate! I had taken her out of her box to take her outside for some fresh air. She was holding her head up slightly and looking around a bit. Then, she snatched a french fry out of my daughter's hand! She dropped it right away, but proceeded to eat a bunch of her crumbles and about 1/2 a slice of bread. All this work tired her, and she immediately fell asleep in my arms, so we returned her to her box after offering water at her beak. Yes, we have water and food in her box, but she cannot reach them without help. We are afraid of her drowning if we put it too close, so we have her head lying on a towel next to the water dish, but below the top level of the dish. The food is next to that. Wednesday, she pooped 3 times, and the first 2 were normal, the 3rd was almost all white. No poop today, but she hadn't eaten since Tuesday evening until Thursday(today) at 3, so I'm not too worried. **As I was writing this, she just pooped again - mostly normal, a little wet on outside, but she's had more water than anything. Earlier today, she was trying to stand up, and she can move her neck and move her legs, but something is either damaged or hurting so bad in the middle that the motion of standing was not happening. Or it could be that she is just too weak. :-( I am not encouraging the standing or any activity at this point.

She spends most of her time dozing/sleeping, although she has been more awake and alert this afternoon/evening. She still stays on her side and only lifts her head up briefly. She doesn't seem to be more or less comfortable on one side or the other. She has made some vocalizations, more so this afternoon, but they are so soft and quiet. Seem to be social rather than pain or panic/alerting noises, but we're new at this. Her eyes seem to be bright and alert for the most part, definitely better than they were even 12 hours ago. I am seeing improvements, which is encouraging.

I just wanted to share and see if anyone had any other suggestions for care. I am going to stop checking on her so much, especially during the night, to allow her to get more rest. I think I should just keep her on crumbles for now since she is eating on her own. I also think I should try to get her outside for fresh air each day. Today she seemed to perk up a bit when she noticed the 2 surviving roosters. I am very hopeful after reading some of the survival stories on this site and seeing her improvement, but I know we have a long way to go.

Thank you for reading and yes the dog got special treats for saving Little Red Hen's life. I am convinced she was dying when we found her - giving up on life, and if it weren't for the dog, it would have been much later before we found her. He has also been obsessive about checking both the chickens and our pygmy goats every time he goes outside. I think he's learning to be a farm dog!

What a horrible experience for you! Glad to hear little red hen is doing better. You could try adding something like 'rooster booster' or 'sav-a-chick' to her water, it might help. Also perhaps a few crumbled meal worms in her crumbles for extra protein. Seems like she is improving slowly - taking her out for a daily 'walk' is a great idea too.
Please keep us posted, hoping for a happy ending,
thumbsup.gif

UPDATE: Since she was doing better today. we did inspect her body more closely for any wounds and found matted blood near the base of one of the feathers on her neck. Several feathers were stuck there, including some snapped off ones from nearby area. She also appears to have bruising (or similar discoloration of the skin) in the same area. Cleaned everywhere with saline water and removed loose feathers. She does not like us messing with her feathers, so we're still afraid we might have missed something. She is covered in her box and did eat more crumbles this evening. Perhaps the dog(?) missed her neck and caught her by the feathers and shook her.....hoping the blood was just from ripped out feathers. Obsessing over a possible missed wound and future infection, but not one to use antibiotics unless sure necessary. :)

Update: Little Red Hen was improving and then Sunday night and all of Monday she seemed to slide back a bit. She slept a lot more and was not as alert when she was awake. Her eyes were never wide open and weren't as bright. Even though she has been eating, it isn't enough, as she is also very, very thin. Her poops have changed from normal for a couple of days after the attack to greenish and looser, sometimes even all liquid Saturday thru today. DH thinks it's the scrambled eggs as opposed to a problem with her insides. I finally found an office who had a vet who saw chickens, so I took her in this afternoon.

We have her in a sling because she still can't stand on her own. The vet did not find any obvious broken bones or any other wounds. He talked about brain or nerve damage causing the weak legs and gave her a shot of Dexamethasone for inflammation of the nervous system. It seemed to help, because after we left she started trying to stand on her own and was actually standing with a little help of the sides of the box. So dh is picking up turmeric (sp?) on the way home to mix with her food for inflammation.

I asked about diet and he looked confused. When I mentioned that people online suggested things like scrambled eggs and yogurt, he said that he doesn't recommend any special diet but if someone online tried something and it worked, it wouldn't hurt to try. I asked about which type of feed, and he said any chicken feed will do. As for her poop, he kept saying the green or brown was her poop and the white was the urine. He wasn't concerned at all about the diarrhea or the green discoloration.

I asked about possible infection, and he said since he didn't see any obvious gaping wounds he doubts that is a concern. That confused me after everything I read on here about small puncture wounds from animal bites causing infection. When I questioned further he said he could send me with antibiotics, but I opted not to at this point. My concern is that if she doesn't need them they may cause yeast thus crop problems. . .

His opinion is that she has a 50/50 chance based on her current appearance. Her tail feathers were down during the appt. and she kept falling asleep on him (I think) because she had spent 10-15 minutes while we were waiting eating and drinking. It wore her out imho. He talked about quality of life and seemed to be pushing us towards putting her down because she can't move around on her own. He doesn't think she is in any pain. He said the same thing I was already doing: watch if she is making improvement every day and if she stops improving we have to decide what to do. But, he implied that it has been long enough (today is day 7) and not to expect much more improvement. I don't agree with 7 days being enough time to recover - especially since as he said, we have no idea what injuries were/are inside.

She is getting more vocal with her cues, and will let us know when she doesn't want the water or food we are offering her by shaking her head and sometimes adding a little squawk. Not a yes/no shake, but a quick shake to say 'get that away from my beak.' :) She is trying to move/stand more - and sometimes flips herself upside down in her sling. Thank goodness I've been nearby every time it's happened to rescue her - her neck looks so uncomfortable when she does it.

I am taking her outside at least twice a day - when she is more alert. Seeing the 2 roosters that survived seems to perk her up a bit. I bring her back in as soon as she starts acting sleepy again. I am wondering if her set back has a little to do with depression because she is in the dark box too much? Is that crazy? Maybe I should try putting her box outside for a few hours each day. . .

In addition to the scrambled eggs we are serving her along with her normal feed and the turmeric we are going to add, we have added a few drops of apple cider vinegar to her water. We are also getting honey and molasses, found somewhere local to get mealy worms, and have pulled out a can of tuna fish, but I am not sure if I should make all these changes all at once. If she is already having digestive problems won't a bunch of new stuff make them worse?

Any feedback from the people here on my current treatment and any suggestions for going forward?

Just to note: I am not sure I have much confidence in the vet that I did see. :-(

Update: Little Red Hen was improving and then Sunday night and all of Monday she seemed to slide back a bit. She slept a lot more and was not as alert when she was awake. Her eyes were never wide open and weren't as bright. Even though she has been eating, it isn't enough, as she is also very, very thin. Her poops have changed from normal for a couple of days after the attack to greenish and looser, sometimes even all liquid Saturday thru today. DH thinks it's the scrambled eggs as opposed to a problem with her insides. I finally found an office who had a vet who saw chickens, so I took her in this afternoon.

We have her in a sling because she still can't stand on her own. The vet did not find any obvious broken bones or any other wounds. He talked about brain or nerve damage causing the weak legs and gave her a shot of Dexamethasone for inflammation of the nervous system. It seemed to help, because after we left she started trying to stand on her own and was actually standing with a little help of the sides of the box. So dh is picking up turmeric (sp?) on the way home to mix with her food for inflammation.

I asked about diet and he looked confused. When I mentioned that people online suggested things like scrambled eggs and yogurt, he said that he doesn't recommend any special diet but if someone online tried something and it worked, it wouldn't hurt to try. I asked about which type of feed, and he said any chicken feed will do. As for her poop, he kept saying the green or brown was her poop and the white was the urine. He wasn't concerned at all about the diarrhea or the green discoloration.

I asked about possible infection, and he said since he didn't see any obvious gaping wounds he doubts that is a concern. That confused me after everything I read on here about small puncture wounds from animal bites causing infection. When I questioned further he said he could send me with antibiotics, but I opted not to at this point. My concern is that if she doesn't need them they may cause yeast thus crop problems. . .

His opinion is that she has a 50/50 chance based on her current appearance. Her tail feathers were down during the appt. and she kept falling asleep on him (I think) because she had spent 10-15 minutes while we were waiting eating and drinking. It wore her out imho. He talked about quality of life and seemed to be pushing us towards putting her down because she can't move around on her own. He doesn't think she is in any pain. He said the same thing I was already doing: watch if she is making improvement every day and if she stops improving we have to decide what to do. But, he implied that it has been long enough (today is day 7) and not to expect much more improvement. I don't agree with 7 days being enough time to recover - especially since as he said, we have no idea what injuries were/are inside.

She is getting more vocal with her cues, and will let us know when she doesn't want the water or food we are offering her by shaking her head and sometimes adding a little squawk. Not a yes/no shake, but a quick shake to say 'get that away from my beak.' :) She is trying to move/stand more - and sometimes flips herself upside down in her sling. Thank goodness I've been nearby every time it's happened to rescue her - her neck looks so uncomfortable when she does it.

I am taking her outside at least twice a day - when she is more alert. Seeing the 2 roosters that survived seems to perk her up a bit. I bring her back in as soon as she starts acting sleepy again. I am wondering if her set back has a little to do with depression because she is in the dark box too much? Is that crazy? Maybe I should try putting her box outside for a few hours each day. . .

In addition to the scrambled eggs we are serving her along with her normal feed and the turmeric we are going to add, we have added a few drops of apple cider vinegar to her water. We are also getting honey and molasses, found somewhere local to get mealy worms, and have pulled out a can of tuna fish, but I am not sure if I should make all these changes all at once. If she is already having digestive problems won't a bunch of new stuff make them worse?

Any feedback from the people here on my current treatment and any suggestions for going forward?

Just to note: I am not sure I have much confidence in the vet that I did see. :-(

Poor red hen! she is certainly having a time of it. I would try her outside in a dog crate or something for a few hours a day - she how she does with her disability. When you keep her inside, try to keep her on a daily schedule of day/night lighting. No it's not silly - animals do get depressed - too much darkness could make it worse.
Don't make too many changes to her diet. You can include the mealy worms in her evening food or simply as a treat. I would feed her 18% or better feed, the higher protein will help. Not too much yoghurt - hens don't digest in too well. Mix a dollop in with oatmeal every other day. You could try some fermented feed in the evening before bed so she can absorb all the nutrients overnight.
With the runny poop, make sure she drinks enough electrolyte enhanced water (Rooster Booster or similar). Hang in there, you're doing everything right.
thumbsup.gif

Can I give both the probiotic and the electrolyte/vitamin (both Sav-A-Chick) in the water? Any reason not to do so?

Can I give both the probiotic and the electrolyte/vitamin (both Sav-A-Chick) in the water? Any reason not to do so?
I can't think of a reason not too. If your weather is like ours - extremely hot/humid right now, you can give her a treat with watermelon slushies or similar. It will keep her cool and provide fluid and some natural vitamins. My girls will kill for it!
smile.png

Update: About a week after Little Red Hen's first vet visit, we found and took her to a farm vet an hour away. It was worth it. For $20 less than my other vet visit, they kept her from Tuesday until Friday and gave her daily steroid shots to help with inflammation. He believes the damage to be nerve damage and showed me how to help her build up strength in her leg and right side. It can take up to a year for nerves to heal. :-( btw - the vet office has called to check in on her 3 times since we brought her home 2 weeks ago. They are really great!

So on to her: she still can't stand on her own, but she is making little improvements and getting stronger as time goes on. This week's milestones were 1. being able to stay in 'perching position' on the bottom of her box all night without flopping over on her side and 2. able to stand for several seconds on 2 legs while propped against a rock. We take her outside near the other birds and keep her under a guinea pig cage top so they don't pick on her. We also carry her around the yard and help her 'stand' at the feeder and waterer. We gave up on her sling for now because she kept flipping herself out of it and ending up in an uncomfortable position on her head. I think a redesign is in order.

She kept trying to groom herself, but still has limited mobility of her neck. So we started using our fingernails to pick dead skin off the new feather growth. She seems to like it and makes cooing/purring noises. Today we had her around our 5 week old chicks (supervised) and a couple of them were grooming her. So cute!

As for diet, we did use probiotic and electrolyte sav-a-chick for a few days. Her poops returned to normal so we stopped offering it. She didn't seem to like it after a couple of days anyway. We also stopped all the special foods and just kept her on starter feed/crumbles. She has gotten some watermelon treats when the weather has been really hot. She started putting on weight and now she finally seems to be close to where she was before the "Animal Attack."

Our new coop keeps getting things added to it, but we hope to soon have an area in it for her to be outside with the other birds. She doesn't like it when we bring her in at night or when it is raining. btw- The 2 roosters who survived the attack still refuse to go into the old coop, which has been reinforced until we finish our new one. They keep 'bedding down' next to the house in the bushes, and then we have to pick them up and take them to the coop. Hope they go into the new one once we put it in service.

She will be 5 months old next week, so now I am worried that she will have problems if her body starts to produce eggs before she is healed. . . so I guess it's time to do more reading. :)

Back
Top Bottom