Animal attack! Need help!

Poor girl!

It's possible it could be damage from rooster claws/spur if there was a clumsy dismount and accidental slicing open. It's also possible from the dog or something else. Unless you see it happening it's hard to know.

If she's in shock, give her some warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Work on hydration.

As for the Hibiclens, I usually don't dilute or even rinse it with water. I swab/spray or pour it on, using it as a rinse to clean wounds. I've never had any issue doing this with my animals or humans.

I would trim some of the body feathers from around the wound so they don't get stuck in the wound. Apply a light layer of triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Very light.
I've had wounds like this under the wing from a rooster (I smoothed his nails after that episode and had no more issues). I did trim the feathers, but did not use triple antibiotic ointment since it was Summer (HOT!) and under the wing is already sort of a humid environment. I opted to clean/swab daily with Chlorhexidine and I also had Banixx that I sprayed on there. She healed quickly, but she was not ever in a state of shock either. So I lean toward the dog roughing her up but I could be wrong. Sometimes dogs squeeze.

How can I identify shock? She wasn't moving much and the dog was jumping around her afterwards. However she has eaten. So perhaps she was harmed by a rooster and then the guard dog was actually defending her and trying to help her? I don't know. It's been a weird day with the dogs chasing the chickens a little bit afterwards and I don't know if it's all related to the incident earlier. I have them tethered for now. They are normally very good dogs.

A fair amount of blood today (first time). I think there was a clumped up area where she did some self cleaning (ripping feathers out, etc) in a hard to get to area. I'm not really sure.

The wound has gone more brown than white so I think it's starting to scab proper.
Sometimes they will pick at wounds and scabs. Probably a bit itchy too. I'd just try to clean the area well, then apply a bit of ointment. Monitor it for a few days.

Sometimes they will pick at wounds and scabs. Probably a bit itchy too. I'd just try to clean the area well, then apply a bit of ointment. Monitor it for a few days.

IMG_20230103_194331902_HDR.jpg

We're still unsure as to exactly what is going on here. She appears to have new feathers growing in. She was bleeding for a few days because I think she was picking stuck feathers out or something like that. There is a significant ledge/seam between the brown and white areas. I don't know if that's a scab or different muscles. The white area on the left side is a big bump that's always been there, I'm wondering if it's the skin that got 'dislodged' during the injury.

It still doesn't smell, she's still eating and seems in good spirit overall. She doesn't like it when we grease her up but she's not screaming in pain either.

Poor girl. A total trooper though. We assume she's not going to die since she hasn't yet and doesn't seem like she wants to. But I'm not sure how long this is going to take to heal.

Back
Top Bottom