Animal attack! Need help!

It looks good, so keep up the good work. We had good success training our golden retriever to leave chickens alone. He had played with each of 3 over several weeks, who had jumped over a 4 foot fence into our yard. We lost the 3rd one who had no wounds. We used the body, and with only 2 shocks, he never even would look at out chickens again. Eventually we had 5 chickens running around in our backyard, and he even taught the other dogs to avoid the chickens. But they can never be trusted with young chicks.

Last edited:
She laid an egg this morning!

Her wound still looks terrible because it's only been a few days. We are coating it with Neosporin.

I was trying to clean it up some more and accidently 'lifted' some of the attached skin from the body so I think I'm just going to Neosporin from here on in and hope for the best.

She laid an egg this morning!

Her wound still looks terrible because it's only been a few days. We are coating it with Neosporin.

I was trying to clean it up some more and accidently 'lifted' some of the attached skin from the body so I think I'm just going to Neosporin from here on in and hope for the best.
Laying an egg is promising.

If there's no odors and she's alert, eating/drinking it's always a good thing!

So no new eggs, though she's starting to drop a lot of feathers. I don't know if she's molting or it's her plucking or what.

IMG_20221227_184237855_HDR.jpg

I can't really tell if it's healing. It doesn't smell, and it's now more white than red. But it isn't really scabbing up or anything, but I don't what the chickens healing process looks like.

Poor girl. She seems chill and fine besides the wound. She deals with us cleaning it and puts herself back in her cage afterwards. She seems to be eating and drinking.

Looks like it's healing.

Is the wound getting soiled daily? If not, then I'd not "clean" it daily, just keep a thin layer of ointment on it daily to help it stay moist.

Dropping a lot of feathers, she may be molting. Check her out in a few days to see if there's pin feathers coming in.

Looks like it's healing.

Is the wound getting soiled daily? If not, then I'd not "clean" it daily, just keep a thin layer of ointment on it daily to help it stay moist.

Dropping a lot of feathers, she may be molting. Check her out in a few days to see if there's pin feathers coming in.

No the wound is clean. We put Neosporin on it daily and I spray a safe disinfectant around the entire area (easier to get hard to reach areas) every 3rd day or so.

She seems fine? Other than the massive injury. But like I mentioned, I don't see any puncture wounds which is nice. At this point I think the dog grabbed feathers and the skin came with them

A fair amount of blood today (first time). I think there was a clumped up area where she did some self cleaning (ripping feathers out, etc) in a hard to get to area. I'm not really sure.

The wound has gone more brown than white so I think it's starting to scab proper.

A fair amount of blood today (first time). I think there was a clumped up area where she did some self cleaning (ripping feathers out, etc) in a hard to get to area. I'm not really sure.

The wound has gone more brown than white so I think it's starting to scab proper.
Sometimes they will pick at wounds and scabs. Probably a bit itchy too. I'd just try to clean the area well, then apply a bit of ointment. Monitor it for a few days.

Sometimes they will pick at wounds and scabs. Probably a bit itchy too. I'd just try to clean the area well, then apply a bit of ointment. Monitor it for a few days.

IMG_20230103_194331902_HDR.jpg

We're still unsure as to exactly what is going on here. She appears to have new feathers growing in. She was bleeding for a few days because I think she was picking stuck feathers out or something like that. There is a significant ledge/seam between the brown and white areas. I don't know if that's a scab or different muscles. The white area on the left side is a big bump that's always been there, I'm wondering if it's the skin that got 'dislodged' during the injury.

It still doesn't smell, she's still eating and seems in good spirit overall. She doesn't like it when we grease her up but she's not screaming in pain either.

Poor girl. A total trooper though. We assume she's not going to die since she hasn't yet and doesn't seem like she wants to. But I'm not sure how long this is going to take to heal.

Back
Top Bottom