Animal Control came to the door-some help please

lildevil77

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Chicago
Before I got my chickens a few years ago I found a link here to look up your town laws. I did and it stated that I can have three chickens. Earlier this year someone saw the chicks in the yard and flagged down a police officer. I told him what I found out, he looked it up and could not find it. Neither could I. I should have printed it out. I explained this to the animal control today who was very nice and he said he would look into it and so would I. I dont have to get rid of them till we figure it out. I am not the most search savvy person. I live in Stickney Il if anyone can help me search that would be wonderful!!!!! If I can't find it I guess I'll be looking into how to change my laws. Thanks!

Your local zoning and platting folks should know what your lot is zoned for. Here it's the function of the borough. For you it's whoever you pay property taxes to, I imagine. They should be able to tell you the zoning and what uses are permissible.

Here's your code of Ordinances: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=11609&stateID=13&statename=Illinois

http://library.municode.com/showDocument.aspx?clientID=11609&docID=1#MUCO_CH12AN_ARTIINGE_S12-16KECEAN

Unfortunately
, if you're in the "village", you can't have chickens at all.

First thing you need to do is know what your property is zoned as (Single Family, Light Industrial, Commercial... etc). Then look up the uses approved for your zone in your Code of Ordinances.

That website is great, because you can search. "Poultry" turns up food service codes, "Chickens" turned up the second link I posted, above.

Read very carefully. Contact the Village Hall for clarification, but make sure they POINT TO THE ORDINANCES and explain them. DO NOT just take their word for it, explain that you want to understand the written codes.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Sorry, but just a quick glance, I'd say you're probably in trouble. You'll have to get this section repealed. I wish you luck.

Sec. 12-16. - Keeping of certain animals.

(a)
Prohibited. It shall be unlawful to keep pigs, swine, sheep, cattle, horses, goats, chickens, other fowl or similar animals, or any naturally wild animal within the village, except in zoological parks, performing animal exhibitions, educational institutions, veterinary hospitals, or animal shelters.

Looks like the "performing animal exihibition" loophole is the one I would be going with. I am sure you have an appearance at my house in the spring of, 2012. It's too bad you can't get any local gigs, and the ones you have booked are way far in advance. JMO

Thanks so much everyone!!!! I am so!! mad at myself for not printing that out. I wonder if someone at the town can look up changed ordinances even its just to prove to myself that I am not crazy!! My husband read it as well. That is pretty much what I found out too. The animal control guy was very cool, we've only had one other dealing with animal control in the last town we lived over my dog getting out and you would have thought I unleashed a rabid dog in a school yard the way he acted. I can't believe I forgot to mention how I've trained my hens to preform, they know a variety of tricks...they eat out of my hand, when I go to pick them up they squat and flatten their wings, they run to me when I shake a can...I don't want to ruin Stoopid's show so I'll keep the rest to myself. But I am sure there is some kind of license I have to pay for to have preforming animals that I don't know about. Thanks again I appreciate all the help!!

I feel so blessed about where I live then. That's crazy that you can't have chickens, even it if wasn't "LEGAL" who would care about a couple of chickens?? Where I live I have 35 acres and it's all designated farm land. I can raise ANYTHING I want and so far, I'm raising 1 roo, 9 hens, and 2 drakes, 2 ducks. Plus two farm cats. We love it and couldn't imagine being restricted!

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with this. You're showing your animals off. Or you could go with 'shelter' and that you rescued your chickens. (And trust me, from some of the breeders I've bought from, I really was rescuing them!)

Back
Top Bottom