Animal industry pro who got her heart stolen by a sweet silkie

TheGild

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2020
(1)Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am on my 3rd year owning chickens. I’m a pet professional who was fostering “a lesbian chicken and gay rooster” for a coworker. The sweet hen, Sunny, stole my heart so fiercely. I’ve only loved one other animal that intensely and if she hadn’t been my first chicken experience I don’t think I would’ve kept a flock. Her and the roo were the perfect starter chickens. I definitely was spoiled with that roo who was so docile that the only time he crowed was because he wanted to be held and cuddled. Unfortunately a hawk got into my yard and took one of their adult babies (I gave Sunny two silver-laced wyandottes toddlee ages chicks to raise). Protecting the rest of the flock gave Brig (the roo) a stress induced heart attack. The other Wyandotte got really depressed and died. Turns out Sunny had a condition that had been causing her to have very small strokes over time. She eventually had one that was bad enough I had to make the call to euthanize her. I now have a silkie hen, Shakti (pronounced shook-tee) that was raised by Sunny who is so nurturing and has a lot of Sunny’s quirks. I have two other silkie hens named Antman and Spider-Man. We have a beautiful white silkie roo named Captain Marvel (I guess he’s got champion lines or something but I don’t follow that kind of stuff with chickens haha). We have a cute little black silkie cross we call Hipster, and then my hens just surprised me and hatched 4 silkie chicks a few weeks ago that are surprisingly surviving the Utah winter.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
9, unless any of my hens are hiding more eggs haha :rolleyes:

(3) What breeds do you have?
Silkies except one silkie mix

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I was sold on giving chickens a try because I love to study psychology and found out they are often observed because of their social structures being similar to humans. I’ve found it to be true and I absolutely love my morning coffee time watching and hanging out with my chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to learn! I am constantly reading, exploring and creating whatever curiosity leads me to.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a retired dog trainer, I started the Utah Dog Trainers groups with another trainer friend before fully retiring from training. I am now a master cat groomer and a very successful business consultant. I have 6 cats, 1 dog, 1 frog and my chickens. At any given time I will have foster animals too.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC via google. I’ve used it my entire chicken owning time. I finally joined because I need help sexing my silkie mix who is about 6ish months old, and ideas for getting my roo to be a little more docile.

Back
Top Bottom