animal protein source

the 2 that i have here are blue seal and southern states both of which have soy...is game, flock raiser, starter safe for laying hens? too much protein? ty
Game Bird, Starter, Grower and Starter/Grower are all save or laying hens. Flock Raiser doesn't have Animal Proteins in it.

Chris

[COLOR=0000FF]the 2 that i have here are blue seal and southern states both of which have soy...is game, flock raiser, starter safe for laying hens?  too much protein?  ty[/COLOR]

Game Bird, Starter, Grower and Starter/Grower are all save or laying hens. Flock Raiser doesn't have Animal Proteins in it.

Chris
Chris, how much protein is too much protein?

You can lower the overall protein intake by adding scratch grains. In summer I give oats (lower in energy) and in winter I give wheat, millet and sunflower for more energy.
Why would you want to lower the protein and raise the energy of the feed in the winter?

Chicken eat to fill there energy needs, if you up there energy intake they will be eating less (bad idea in the winter). You would be better off upping there fiber intake and keeping there protein right around 18 to 20 percent.

Chris

In winter, I have pushed my bird through the winter on a 28% protein with no problems but 18 to 20 is fine for winter feeding, 20% protein being better than 18%.

Chris

Last edited:

In winter, I have pushed my bird through the winter on a 28% protein with no problems but 18 to 20 is fine for winter feeding, 20% protein being better than 18%.

Chris
:thumbsup

My feed is 24% turkey grower. I do mix in scratch at 25-30% of the total mix and BOSS at one scoop to add colour> I ferment the feed as well.

I just don't want to damage any organs with too much protein. Hope this is adequate.

thumbsup.gif

My feed is 24% turkey grower. I do mix in scratch at 25-30% of the total mix and BOSS at one scoop to add colour> I ferment the feed as well.
I just don't want to damage any organs with too much protein. Hope this is adequate.

I am considering fermenting feed and just started growing fodder. I have been reading a lot but need to get more organized. I keep getting confused on what percentage of what I am going to end up with here. lol.

:thumbsup My feed is 24% turkey grower. I do mix in scratch at 25-30% of the total mix and BOSS at one scoop to add colour> I ferment the feed as well. I just don't want to damage any organs with too much protein. Hope this is adequate.
I am considering fermenting feed and just started growing fodder. I have been reading a lot but need to get more organized. I keep getting confused on what percentage of what I am going to end up with here. lol.
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.ca/p/fermented-feed.html Here is the thread in point form - because reading through all those pages is tough. This took all of the valuable information and put it in simple terms. Definitely worth looking into. My birds absolutely love the FF. Chicks included. They eat it with a passion. :) These guys are eating fermented chick starter at this time.

We used to have "pet mice " That would have babies all the time. When they were small, Pinkies, we would toss them to the chickens. GONE. They would eat the mice all the way up to adults but we would have to kill them first so they couldn't escape. They really liked them. Tug Of War style.

Back
Top Bottom