Animals like this green water

When I had horses, I had two identical water tanks, side by side. One of them always had clean fresh water in it. In the other lived three large goldfish about the size of my fist. You know what those goldfish did in that water. The four horses always had free access to both tanks. But they always drank out of the tank with the fish and never from the pristine tank. In fact, it seemed as if one of the horses struck up a friendship with one of the fish; whenever that particular horse drank, the black fish would come up and bump noses with her, and they seemed to communicate for a while. It was fascinating to watch. Wonder what a fish says to a horse?

My animals do the SAME thing. I've seen them leave an area that has fresh clean water (with ice) to run across the pasture to a water filled ditch. Get a drink or two, then run back to where they were, eat forage, bypass fresh water and go back to ditch. They also prefer the tank (pond) at the back pasture to fresh water.
I now know why the chicken crossed the road-to get the nastiest, algae filled water source available. 🤔
We are on a well, so none of our water is chemically treated.

Back
Top Bottom