Anklet, jesses, leashes work on peafowls ?

hoopoes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Anklet, jesses and leashes are common use in falconry.
Does anybody use them in your peacock ? Thanks for your sharing.

Hoopes

Bad is idea, most of the time when Peafowl get startled they jump straight up 6 feet or so and take off flying, which could break or dislocate their leg with something tied to it and they hit the end of their teather, they are very very powerful flyers.
I can walk my peas anywhere I want and I have dozens of them running around free here.

Last edited:
Heck no... Not only could the break a leg, but I think there's a main artery that the could tear and then they would bleed to death.

-Kathy

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I really want to freeranging the peacock.
But people in Taiwan own small back yard grassland. Outside the land is too dangerous.
Most hobbyist keep them in small pens, it's not what I want to do.

I keep one harris hawk and red tail hawk. So I am thinking if it is still works on other birds.

Best Regards,

Hoopoes

Last edited:
You can always keep them in a nice large pen. I feel bad about not letting mine free-range so I keep them in a big aviary with lots of plants (unfortunately this year the grass didn't grow in the pen). I also have started letting them out of the aviary so they can explore while I am there with them to supervise them. That way I am there to make sure they don't stray to far. When I am ready for them to go back into the pen I just herd them back into the pen.

I keep 8 peafowl in about a 40 by 50 feet (12.192 by 15.24 meters) aviary:

Since you are in Taiwan I am guessing you live in a fairly tropical area. You could have a very beautiful aviary using just native plants especially clumping bamboo. If you live in an area with a lot of rain I would build a shelter for the peafowl to get under when there is a monsoon.

That is cool that you keep hawks! There is a big red tail hawk pair that live here. I love hearing them call and all my peafowl stop what they are doing and stare up at the red tails. Have you kept owls?

Last edited:
MinxFox, Thanks a lot for your detail reply.

Yes, Taiwan is in tropical to sub-tropical zone. Rainly dutring winter and spring. Typhoon in summer may destroy outdoor shelter.
Red tail and Harris are all imported from UK. They are good birds for falconry.
It's pity we are not allowded to keep owl.

Big pen for peafowl seems to be the best choice. I will try to do it and share the picture in this forum.

Hoopes

Yes!
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!

Please do post pictures of your pen...there are a lot of folks here with pen-building experience, so make sure to ask here if you need some building advice.

Are there many pea breeders in Taiwan?

Back
Top Bottom