Annoying dog yapping

Ausdotte

Chirping
Jun 26, 2017
We have a chihuahua cross, it's about 5 years old, we have had it for around 6 months. For a while now, even though it is allowed to sleep in the bed with the humans and the other chihuahua (and sometimes the cat) it has a habit of getting up in the middle of the night, going into the lounge room, sitting on the couch and sporadically yapping. Not an excited sort of yapping, an intermittent every few seconds sort of yap, it won't stop until you get out of bed and personally invite it back, shouting at it from the bedroom just won't do. After two or three times most nights this becomes extremely annoying.
My questions are - what on earth is going through it's tiny mind?
And how do I encourage it to stop this?

That would be annoying & I have no clue as to why it's doing that. Did this behavior jus start or has it been from the beginning? Maybe it's still adjusting to the change? Maybe it needs to go potty? Maybe it goes to check something it hears but can't find it's way back to the bedroom? You could try night lights, maybe some ear plugs? Have you tried making her a comfy bed with a blanket (baby or fleece) on the couch, she may just sleep there?

I have a Chi/Terrier who's potty trained, sleeps with us but her potty corner is in the living room. We have a stair for her up & down the bed & night light cause she is afraid of the dark (serious). She's now 6yrs, overweight so the stairs are a problem for her, so she wakes Hubby to go potty by nudging him with her paws. He puts her down, waits for her then puts her back in bed....Yup he spoils her.

Glad to know you're trying to figure the behavior out, have you talked to your Vet? Or an animal trainer/behaviorist? I'm sure other will have more ideas...

We leave the back door open so that it can go outside anytime it wants. She finds her way to the couch so I can't see why she couldn't find her way back. And she is slender, athletic and pretty brave too. There are blankets on the couch if she wanted to sleep there, but she doesn't want to sleep, she wants to yap :(

I can only think that it somehow gets disturbed in the middle of the night pack (crunched in bed) and bails to the couch to complain.

You then inadvertently rewarded it by trying to take care of its needs and personally inviting it back to bed.

Tiny dogs, like Chihuahuas are very prone to "little dog syndrome" wherein they begin to rule the roost as owners cater to them, since they are so small.

However Chihuahuas are still dogs and think like dogs and the dog pack. A submissive dog that had been unsettled would simply find a corner and lay down. However a nervous dog or dog who feels they have the rights to demand attention will do so...demand attention.

Rewarding a nervous dog simply rewards that nervousness. Rewarding a demanding dog simply rewards the demands and reinforces the thought that it is dominant.

I personally would crate train the dog until it figures out where it is in the pack. Not at the top, definitely, or you will continue this nightly ritual.

My thoughts.
LofMc

You are probably right about it getting crunched in the bed, I feel like a sardine myself. I suppose the couch is roomy but cold seeing as it is winter here. Yes, I should be less accommodating.

Hubby wants to be her "elevator" it's his problem not mine :) I've been around dogs alot more than he has, she got him wrapped around her tiny little toe. I tell him but he continues and when he complains, I remind him. Ha ha

Is there a window near the couch that she could be looking out of and barking? That would be my first guess. Try closing any windows that she could look out of and see if it helps. My next suggestion would be to try crate training to prevent the barking. Or try gating the bedroom door (or closing the door) so she can't get to the living room.

Back
Top Bottom