Another “when to move outside” question

BenandHelen

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello, our 2 Pekins will be 4 weeks old when we want to move them outside. It will be July 3rd and the day/night temps are suppose to be 80 to 90 in the day and 58 to 66 at night. Since they will be 4 weeks old we were hoping this would be ok. They have a secure duck house inside our poultry pen (with an electric fence around the pen as well as the regular fence) and I will be putting up a temporary “secure” run for them attached to the duck house until they get used to the adult chickens in the pen. The only predator problems we have ever had were something that burrowed under the fence (so I dug the fence in and secured it, no one has dug under it in over a year) and the damn black bear that went over (hence the electric fence, the bear has not been back since getting zapped).
Thoughts on moving them out under the described conditions?
Thanks in advance!

They should be fine. Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water. I have multiple containers with water around my duck and chicken run. I also refill more often during hot weather.

If you have electricity in your coop, you can give them a lamp or pad for night. I’m in MA and my Pekins are the exact same age. Mine spent last night outside with a heat lamp in their coop, but there are four of them so the cuddling also generates more heat.

With the night light idea, there are some battery operated ones if you don't have electricity in the coop.
We have an outdoor building light that illuminates our duck house, so we never used a night light for them.

Back
Top Bottom