Another aggressive rooster post....🐓

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have a 22 week old sexlink rooster, The Warden, he's gorgeous! But the past month he's started flogging me and my husband. For apparently no reason. If I look at him wrong he comes after me, if I fill up their food, collect eggs etc.

I have tried catching him and pinning him to the ground to "show who's boss", I've tried walking toward him and getting in his space, but it's not helping.

He's an amazing rooster otherwise! Shows the hens where to lay eggs, calls them to food, not aggressive with the hens when mating.

I guess I just need to know if this is just hormonal and it will get better with time? Or if he's doomed for rehoming/freezer camp😔 I want to hatch our own chicks next year and definitely dont want his aggression to breed into them if it's not just hormones kicking in....

Attached picture of the culprit..

Attachments

• 20210811_063339.jpg
    20210811_063339.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 19
He might get better with time. Just as likely he will not get better with time.

If there is any chance the cockerel can get to any children or neighbors, then I would send him to freezer camp. Rehoming him would be difficult. There are so many good roosters looking for a home. There are not many homes for people aggressive roosters unless it is a special breed that someone wants.

He's a lovely cockerel. MY aggressive one was my grandson's special chicken until he turned at the age of 2 1/2 years old. With grandchildren involved freezer camp was the only option I had. I did try separating him for 2 months. I hand fed him through the mesh on his cage. Was hoping he would see me as the person who brought him good things. After 2 months I let him out. He attacked. He had his chance.

Last edited:
Sometimes such behavior improves as the bird matures. In my experience it generally does not. If he were mine he would have to go. There are lots of good roosters looking for homes.
Yea I'm definitely not hurting for roosters. I have a dark brahma that's the same age and some younger ones as well. Now to break the news to my husband...

He might get better with time. Just as likely he will not get better with time.

If there is any chance the cockerel can get to any children or neighbors, then I would send him to freezer camp. Rehoming him would be difficult. There are so many good roosters looking for a home. There are not many homes for people aggressive roosters unless it is a special breed that someone wants.

He's a lovely cockerel. Mine aggressive one was my grandson's special chicken until he turned at the age of 2 1/2 years old. With grandchildren involved freezer camp was the only option I had. I did try separating him for 2 months. I hand fed him through the mesh on his cage. Was hoping he would see me as the person who brought him good things. After 2 months I let him out. He attacked. He had his chance.
We don't have children yet but have nieces and nephews that love our chickens so it's definitely not going to work....and I don't really want to sell him and someone get him to "fix" his behavior and end up hurting him in the process.

At 22 weeks old he will taste good in freezer camp. Cull him. In my experience they don't get better. I tried all the "tricks" for my rooster before rehoming him to a roosterless flock of 25 hens. He still flogged people. By that time he was over a year old and we cooked him. He tasted and chewed like like tree bark.

Edited to add: I have culled a 20 week old EE cockerel and he was the tastiest chicken I ever had, so I don't think 22 weeks will be much different.

I have a 22 week old sexlink rooster, The Warden, he's gorgeous! But the past month he's started flogging me and my husband. For apparently no reason. If I look at him wrong he comes after me, if I fill up their food, collect eggs etc.

I have tried catching him and pinning him to the ground to "show who's boss", I've tried walking toward him and getting in his space, but it's not helping.

He's an amazing rooster otherwise! Shows the hens where to lay eggs, calls them to food, not aggressive with the hens when mating.

I guess I just need to know if this is just hormonal and it will get better with time? Or if he's doomed for rehoming/freezer camp😔 I want to hatch our own chicks next year and definitely dont want his aggression to breed into them if it's not just hormones kicking in....

Get a empty feed Bag walk towards him with it he should retreat and not bother you . They don’t know what the feed bag is . Think it’s a predator. Do this every time you walk
Outside near him . Until he see you as the alpha it works.

We don't have children yet but have nieces and nephews that love our chickens so it's definitely not going to work....and I don't really want to sell him and someone get him to "fix" his behavior and end up hurting him in the process.

I read about someone using a leaf blower on some chickens and the rooster flogged them. Then he started flogging people who did nothing to him and had to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom