Another Barred Rabbithole

ZiptieYard

Chirping
Dec 30, 2023
Hello all! Some of you may recall I have had Barred Rocks and the Ameruacanas…wellll. The barred bug bit again. I’m tossing California Greys in the mix as well. Lol. Still planning on a small pen of pure birds but…

Egg color isn’t a factor for me and I don’t often sell my eggs to hatch so the melting pot is about to come down to breeding for quick development, consistent layers, whom possess a dark developed barred pattern and a full figure. (relative to frame, I’m aware there will be some frame variation from the initial crosses but will breed for birds with a dual purpose menatiliy.)
Bases crossed this year are a barred/cuckoo Orpington rooster over Barred rock hens, black Ameruacana over Barred Rock hens.
We will grow out the F1 to be staged roughly a month behind the production time of the California Greys( all pullets) and use the F1 roosters once they have reached 9 months or so and I can develop my picks.

I figured you guys would enjoy the rabbit hole more than my wife will at the current time. 🤣🤣

Be safe everyone, and Happy Early St.Pattys to you all.

Back
Top Bottom