Another broody question: to hatch or not to hatch?

26C926CD-DEA5-440E-89C1-CD352CB569ED.jpeg

As soon as I came out with my bucket everyone started running to the barn 😂
You can see the two nest guards in the corner. After a lot of flapping around and honk-yelling the nest empty and broken up. I fully expect there to be another one tomorrow morning 🙄

Thanks ladies! I hate being the bad guy but I would hate dealing with ducklings in winter even more.

They sure are sneaky aren't they? She looks pitiful right now since her sisters are ahead of her in their molt her mohawk is sparse lol I don't know if she'll enjoy her winter break but I am celebrating not having any more broodies for a while. I also had hens that would not give up either my last one to finally give up was last week too.

Look how alert those 2 are. They sure are comical. I do believe Muscovy think it's their duty to overpopulate the world in ducklings. lol

The only way I've been able to break broody muscovy is to lock them out of wherever they have decided to nest. They will keep at it until they are thin and it's not good on their body or their state of mind. Leaving any eggs - even fake - will encourage them. They won't stop until it hatches - whatever it is. So, take the eggs, destroy nests, lock them out or block off areas if you can. You might even have to pen them up in a different location. Even once you take all options away, they will still be hormonal for weeks. They are strong willed when it comes to being broody.

The only way I've been able to break broody muscovy is to lock them out of wherever they have decided to nest. They will keep at it until they are thin and it's not good on their body or their state of mind. Leaving any eggs - even fake - will encourage them. They won't stop until it hatches - whatever it is. So, take the eggs, destroy nests, lock them out or block off areas if you can. You might even have to pen them up in a different location. Even once you take all options away, they will still be hormonal for weeks. They are strong willed when it comes to being broody.
I took the fake ones. They are definitely stubborn!

Back
Top Bottom