Another Broody...this time, it's Glenda (again) Update: make that TWO

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This is my fourth broody this year. Glenda was broody last year and I sold her babies at about a week old. She looked for them for months and I felt so bad, I decided that if she went broody again, she could keep her babies. Glenda is a big girl, the daughter of my blue Orp rooster, Suede, with my Buff Brahma, Caroline. Right now, poor Glenda is in a terrible extended molt and looks like a Turken, bare neck, semi-bare wings and bare bottom. Now, she's plucked her breast area even more, so that hen is positively airconditioned!
Just awhile ago, I moved her to the broody pen with 7 eggs, all barred EEs (my BR roo Dutch over blue, black and splash Ameraucana hens). She finally settled on them and here we go--babies are due officially July 5, but will most likely hatch on July 4th.

Sweet Glenda, glad your going to let her grow out some chickies for awhile. I'm up to 10 broody hens for the year!! I have 4 setting on air just cause there is no more room in the inn for chicks!!!!

Congrats
smile.png
Hopefully she'll have a good hatch.

We're onto our 5th and 6th broody hens this year and, Tuffoldhen, I know what you mean! Our inn is pretty much too full for any more chicks too.

I had a horse do that once when she lost her baby prematurely - she looked for years for her little one. It broke my heart.

That's so very sweet of you, but then again it doesn't surprise me.
wink.png
Can't wait for updates!

Make that TWO broodies! I just realized that my smallest PoufyHead Sister, Tux, has been sitting way back in a nest all day long. Sweet Tux growled and pecked DH when he reached under her. Little Tuxy was sitting on 7 eggs. Good grief. Now what? I have a bird with severe bumblefoot in the second broody pen and I gave Glenda all the eggs I'd want to hatch. Guess Tux will have to stay in that nest till we can figure out what to do with her.
Here is Tux:

DCP_8766.jpg

Here is Glenda last year with her babies:

DCP_1530.jpg

We keep removing eggs from under Tux. She isn't buying it and is still broody. Beats everything, her going broody for the first time at two-and-a-half years old. Glenda is sitting tight on 8 eggs on Day 3, same as Tux. We moved Tux to the second broody pen after and either that will break her up, or at least, she'll be easier to tend to when she's out of the main coop. If she keeps this up, we'll give her the BBS Orp egg that is under Glenda and let her hatch one. It's so dang hot here! I wish it'd cool down some for these broody gals.

This is two out the three PoufyHeads who've gone broody now. Olivia raised babies last year. Now, I just hope Kate doesn't go over the edge, too! I have enough babies and this heat is awful for them to be tied to a nest.

Back
Top Bottom