ANOTHER BROODY

Feather queen

Songster
May 13, 2022
Nsw, Australia
I currently have 4 separated areas in my chicken coop 2 of them are taken up with 2 mothers with silkie chicks (1-2 weeks) that don't get along. The other 2 are fitting 30 chickens in them (don't worry there is plenty of space and they only get locked up at night) I also currently have a spare shed its currently occupied by another mother with her 5 chicks (its infested with rats though, she lost 4 chicks to them😥) they are currently 6 weeks old. And another chicken has gone broody, she has a chick currently its 8 weeks. I have tried ice packs, removing her from the nest, along with any eggs and even wetting her belling with cold water and it hasn't worked.

What else can I try?
Do I just buy some fertile eggs to put under her?
And if I do were can I put her and the chicks?

Just let her sit but don't give her any eggs.
Did you try the dog cage method?
I let her just sit with no eggs the first time she went broody after around 3 weeks I finally gave in and put 2 eggs under her, that's how she got the chick she currently has. Not yet the only crate I have is half occupied by puppies. I can use it if it is really needed but preferably not

Last edited:
I dunno about the general success rate of this, but I was a little frustrated with broodies the week before last. I took away the nest boxes (you could block them if permanently installed) and just let the layers use them temporarily each day. Took all the eggs. And manually lifted the hen on to the roost when it was too dark for her to jump down, but just a tidge of light so she could see she was up high (maybe not necessary). And repeat the next night.
She cuddled into the rooster and they slept like that. She was clearly heartbroken. But she went right back to laying.
I decided this should be called the Monster Human method and I'm not sure if I can do it to that particular hen again (my Susie). Shall just have to build more to accommodate her wish for a family.

Back
Top Bottom