Another Bumble Foot Question

@KitKat187 I would recommend checking/replacing the pads each evening depending on how active your hen is and if the weather is very wet. The cover plaster helps a lot but sometimes the pads can slide around and end up in the wrong spot. Changing the dressing each evening is good because you can do an epsom salt soak at the same time and make sure the area stays clean.

The skin will lighten and soften as the salicylic acid takes effect, much the same as when we treat ourselves. Sometimes it can take several days/a week to soften enough for the bumble to lift out.
Thank you. I do not find any other conversations about this approach online at all. You’ve never had a problem with this method or it’s never made them worse? Mine has it in both feet. I only noticed because I saw the area between the top of her toes was slightly red and swollen. A obvious brown hard scab below in the cushion heel. She’s not limping at all. The other foot isn’t swollen and looks similar but not as bad.

In all the years I've raised chickens and seen bumble foot, this was the first time I treated due to her choosing to sit and when she walked it was limping for a short distance. The Vet advised me to soak in Epsom Salt to relieve the inflammation and swelling, there was no scab. The "eye" showed its self after about a week of soaking, I should have waited another couple of days soaking before I squeezed, maybe it would have "soften" more. It hurt her but I saw the relief she had once I got it all out. I used the method I read about here, thinking the salicylic acid may be ok to use aside from the Prid ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

In all the years I've raised chickens and seen bumble foot, this was the first time I treated due to her choosing to sit and when she walked it was limping for a short distance. The Vet advised me to soak in Epsom Salt to relieve the inflammation and swelling, there was no scab. The "eye" showed its self after about a week of soaking, I should have waited another couple of days soaking before I squeezed, maybe it would have "soften" more. It hurt her but I saw the relief she had once I got it all out. I used the method I read about here, thinking the salicylic acid may be ok to use aside from the Prid ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid
So you never treated until you saw it affecting her? The other instances resolved?

@KitKat187 no I’ve never had an issue with the salicylic acid treatment. The time it was most helpful was when the wound had actually healed but there was remaining inflammatory fibrous tissue under the skin (the white stuff). The salicylic pads gently softened the skin to allow the hard material to lift out. It was about the size of a pea. The chicken healed quickly and well afterwards.

The benefit of doing epsom as well is that it will draw out any infection. The prid drawing salve is also good for this — we have something called magnoplasm where I am. Honey is also a good drawing salve in a pinch. Any of these ointments I would apply before wrapping bumblefoot.

Not all chicken foot wounds are bumblefoot, even if there is a scab. Bumblefoot happens when bacteria gets in and causes and infection which is when you see discolouration, swelling, and the bird will be reluctant to stand/walk. The benefit of starting with epsom baths is that you can soak the scab until it comes off and then you’ll see if it’s healed, if there is a pus core and abscess, if there is further infection etc.

So you never treated until you saw it affecting her? The other instances resolved?
Correct ... I panicked when I first started raising chickens & found scabs under their feet, having read about bumble foot. The person that "introduced" me to raising assured me it's ok, will take care itself. So I left them to, I've had alot of chickens (raise & sell) over these past 10yrs ... This was the first I've "had" to treat.

This hen was the first I've had that wouldn't walk, if she did she limped and only a short distance. There was no scab under foot, only a lump on top, I called my Vet, told to soak in Epsom Salt to help the swelling & inflammation ... Which I did.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumble-foot-question.1585166/

2x @Lillith37

Back
Top Bottom