Another chicken with a swollen eye...help??

pgr

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
Central Maine
Our chick is 7 weeks old. She developed eye swelling about a week ago, which seems to be slowly worsening. Otherwise, she seems completely fine: eating, drinking, very active.

There isn't any drainage from the eye or beak. This morning it seemed the other eye was beginning to swell, but now I'm not sure; it seems like maybe it is the one eye that's problematic. We've tried flushing it and gentamicin drops once a day (I know it should be twice but...) without improvement. It doesn't look like an injury; the swelling has progressed slowly, and is symmetrically around the eye. The rest of the face doesn't seem swollen.

My Dad spoke with a vet he knows, and she suggested the chick be put down so that whatever it is does not spread to the others (and potentially our kids, who tend to handle them a lot). We have a total of 29 chicks; this is our first flock so no exposure to other birds. They have transitioned to the coop and free-range in our fenced yard during the day.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8699.JPG
    IMG_8699.JPG
    443.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8701.JPG
    IMG_8701.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8702.JPG
    IMG_8702.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8703.JPG
    IMG_8703.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 9
Can you see any bubbles in the eye or any peck marks or stings around the eye? Many times a respiratory disease, Mycoplasma or MG, can be the cause of swollen eyelids. I would try to get an antibiotic such as Tylosin powder, oxytetracycline, Denagard, or doxycycline to treat her if there are any other symptoms of MG. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

@Eggcessive

I can't see any of the things you mentioned, only the swelling. My digging online points to infraorbital sinusitis. I've ordered Terramycin ointment.

I really don't want to euthanize.... :(

Terramycin (oxytetracycline) eye ointment can be used in the eye for conjunctivitis, but a a systemic antibiotic may be needed to treat symptoms if there is sinus infection.

Back
Top Bottom