Another coop built, some nice features

bwindrope

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Because of various moves, I've ended up building five coops now, each reflective of their situations. I've never gone for the Taj Mahal, though I like how they look. This newest coop incorporates some wisdom learned from previous efforts.

For one, I continue to use sand as the bedding. Enough said. Another thing is that I have gone to using clear panels as roofing. Here in the great PNW we don't suffer from too much sun, and allowing all available light into the coop helps it be cheery and dries out any wetness. I have used generous overlaps of the roofing on all sides so the coop is well protected.

We access eggs through a panel at the back of the nest boxes. It is under the roofing nicely, and easy to access.

Otherwise, standard stuff.

The red box to the side of the door was an old ornamental telephone box that came with the house when we purchased. It was in a trash pile, but painted like this adds some nice color. We will use it to hold our cracked corn for treats and calling them back to the coop.

This flock consists of Silver and Gold Wyandottes, and some Welsummers.

Looks great--and I love the old telephone box! Our house came with a vintage metal mailbox--I wish I'd hung onto that for coop repurposing!

A benefit of the location I forgot to mention is that this coop is built right up against the side of the house near our laundry room. And so now I can go to our laundry room and look out the window right down onto the chickens! I can even see directly into their nest boxes to see if there are eggs, which will save me a cold wet walk out in the wintertime.

Back
Top Bottom