Another copper bolus question

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Most people I know feed their goats pellets, which contain copper, as well as minerals, which contain the same. Why would there be the need for administering a copper bolus. Is all that copper still not good enough? Also, does anyone have experience in administering copper to goats in homeopathic form?

Sometimes the minerals and grain arent enough. I use the Copasure boluses from jeffers and mix with Probios and use a syringe with the end cut off and they take it right down...If you notice that the birthing sacks are tough and dont break easy this is a copper problem and also if the hair on a black goat starts truning red that is also.

I give my goats the Sweetlix Meatmaker loose minerals and the Purina Goat Chow which contains what the goats need and it's still not enough. So I just have to bolus them
idunno.gif

Ok, chaty gave me an incredibly nice offer to mail me some copper so I don't have to buy a whole thing of it, but the problem is, I don't know how to tell how much she weighs? Is there a way to figure it out without having to order a weigh tape online and wait for it to arrive?

Yep pick the goat up and step on a scale and then put the goat down and step on it again...you dont have to tell anyone what the weight is just subtract the weight...this is what I have done before...not to hard to do and its 1 gram per 22 lbs of goat...

Quote:
hmm.png
The hair on my black goat "Bella" is turning red. I thought it was from the sun. I have also noticed some fading of color on "Sandi" (the one that's colored golden brown and white in the picture). Do I need to give them some extra copper? Here is a pic of them that shows the red in Bella and if you look closely you can see the faded color on Sandi's back. I have been thinking this was caused by the sun…like how a buff orp”s color fades from the sun. Their diet consists of Purina Mills Noble Kid Grower 16 food, Alfalfa pellets, Purina Mills Goat Minerals, baking soda, unlimited fresh hay and water. They also still get a ½ cup milk bottle in the morning and evening. The treats I give them are Animal Crackers, Raisins, BOSS and the Goat Treat pellets from the Tractor Supply store…not all at the same time just one a day in the afternoon.
DSC_0410.jpg

Do they need more copper???

Mitzi

They look fine to me. Black goats often have red as they blow coat. If her coat stayed that way all the time, that would be a different story.

On another note, please be careful feeding raisins to goats, just a few too many can spell disaster.

We definitely had a copper deficiency and have just been finding out about it. I thought my eyes were playing tricks when I saw the red come out - have bolused just one time and the colors are returning back. Plan to regularly bolus as the birthing sacks were very thick as noted above. We use a measuring tape we got from Jeffers or Haeggers - sorry don't remember which.

We also coppered the kids as well.

Back
Top Bottom