Another crazy chicken person

MayFlowersbirds

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2017
Hey all! I'm meg, I live on a tiny farm perched on a windy ridge over the SanFrancisco Bay with a rotating cast of critters. Currently I have just 3 pullets (down from 15) and one dedicated chicken dog.

Welcome to BYC . Did something happen to your chickens or did you give or sell them? From 15 to 3 is a big jump in numbers usually we see it go the other way. " chicken Math" We all start small and in no time they grow in numbers so its funny to see it going down and not up on here.

I love that you have a "chicken dog." I do too! I have a mixed breed working dog that's never had a job to do other than hike with me, until now. Now I tell her go check on the chickens and she runs out the door and does a lap around the coop. She comes with me every time I feed/water/check on the chickens and is happy to do her job. Last night she was barking in the house on full alert with her hackles up and sure enough there were two strange dogs in the yard between the house and the chickens.

I love that you have a "chicken dog." I do too! I have a mixed breed working dog that's never had a job to do other than hike with me, until now. Now I tell her go check on the chickens and she runs out the door and does a lap around the coop. She comes with me every time I feed/water/check on the chickens and is happy to do her job. Last night she was barking in the house on full alert with her hackles up and sure enough there were two strange dogs in the yard between the house and the chickens.

Heard Pyrenees is the perfect breed for chicken guard, knew a guy who had one if an alarm call was to go off that dog went a running straight to them chickens, owner said he's actually killed two coyote that tried getting his turkey! Imagine that!

And welcome Meg! What breeds!?

Wow! Everyone is so friendly here :) my chicken dog is Dusty, he's a boxer/husky mix. He's not allowed in the coop because he's still young and gets a bit over excited when peeps start flapping. He has alerted us before that a chicken got loose and has chased raccoons and foxes off. I currently have two silkie babies, one of which is turning out to be a rooster I think, and a polish pullet. We had a ton more but had to give them to a friend with a farm last winter due to severe rains that flooded the chicken yard and coop. Now I'm building my flock back up in a new and improved house.

Do show us as you make it if you will!

Be cool to see a high rise coop! I know back in Florida they had to have them near the banks of the river and up about 2 miles on land it was cool!!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom