1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another DE Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThornyRidge, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I recently purchased a 40 lb bag of food grade DE from my feed mill.. I know that my chickens and goats have lice.. what is best way to use this product? dust chickens? I was planning on sprinkling in dust bath area and in bedding when I clean out coop/nest boxes.. but is it safe/ok/good to sprinkle on chickens themself and if so what is the best way to do that and how much does one use?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can sprinkle under wings,on but and back. Make sure it is getting down to the skin and not just on top of feathers. I would do this outside and wear a mask. You don't ever want to breathe in a powder. Very bad for your lungs.

I personally would give them imietric as and then again in one week. Then use De in feed, nesting boxes, litter and dusting box to keep them away.

3. for me the easy way is just take a handful and start at the neck and work backwards.or get an old nylon stocking and use it like a power puff, dusting good under the wings. I also use it pretty heavy in the hay in the coop I put a good handful on the roosts, and nest box, Any place they dust bath add some there, marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by