Another duck question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Barnyard, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    When ducklings hatch, do you treat them the same as you do chicks? As in, do you take them out of the turner when they fluff? Do you put marble's in there water'er? I am really new to ducks and I have babies hatching [​IMG]

2. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Hey, I will have my first ducklings hatching in a few weeks, too. They've been under a broody hen (chicken) for approx. five days now. I ordered them through the mail and it's too early to candle yet. Maybe we can compare experiences.

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh wow!! Congrats. I would love to hear how yours is going.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    do you take them out of the turner when they fluff?

Yup

Do you put marble's in there water'er?

No, just get a Guinea Pig water bottle. It will help cut down on the mess.

Here is a thread I posted about my brooder....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=143262

I am new to this too, but I am learning fast!!!​

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, you pretty much treat them the same way as chicks, with just a few differences. Ducklings need less heat in their brooder than chicks do, and do not feed ducklings medicated chick starter.

I used a quart jar waterer until they were a couple weeks old, then I switched to a bowl.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:So what temp do I need the brooder? Do you think a chick water'er would work?

7. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I use chick waterer's for my baby ducklings, and I would imagine that the brooder should be a little lower than a chicks would be.

I "eyeball" the light over the brooder, and change the height over what I see the ducklings are doing.

Best Of Luck [​IMG]

-Austin

8. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Someone here (I'm sorry, I can't remember who!) suggested an awesome idea for a waterfowl waterer for the brooder-- gallon milk jugs!

We use a gallon milk jug for the waterer, and cut a hole in the side just big enough and just high enough for the ducklings to get their heads in to drink. Over the course of brooding them 5 or 6 weeks, we simply get new jugs and cut new holes higher and bigger as they grow.

Works great-- they can get their whole heads in to drink and rinse their nostrils, but can't play or swim in it.

This is our second year brooding ducklings, and the gallon jug waterers have worked great both times!

9. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We have used the same method for geese also, but instead of a gallon milk jug, we use a bucket. It has holes in the sides. No playing in the water really cuts down on the mess.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had a duckling drown in a chick waterer, so I would say yes, you should put marbles in it.
    Ducklings only need about 85 degrees. By 4ish weeks they shouldn't need heat at all, unless they are outside. I think mine all did without a light (100 watt) inside the house by 2 weeks old. Just watch them to know how much they need. The less heat, the faster they will feather, and be able to go out. They are stinky!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by