Another dumb question

Sc00ter4900

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Massachusetts
Hey i have been reading these post and saw somewhere about DE . What excactly is DE ? I know it has to do with composting? Do you feed it to your birds or do you spread it around? I have a swiming pool with an earth filter, That uses DE . Is that the same thing? Dont want to hurt my girls. Trying to do every thing right. Thanks in advance
hmm.png

Scotty

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

Three types of Diatomaceous Earth

Fossil Shell Flour:
It kills fleas, ticks as an external treatment and can be fed to animals of all types as a dewormer and mineralizer in their feed. It's used to treat grain stored in silos too. You can use it in your own kitchen to help preserve and keep insects out of your grains and cereals.

D-20 Pet & Animal:
Its' Diatomaceous Earth (Fossil Shell Flour) with Pyrethrin (a digestible extract made from Chrysanthemum flowers) and a catalyst (Piperonyl Butoxide 1%. made from the Sassafras plant) added to it, to make it even more effective against external parasites like fleas, ticks, flies, ants, etc.. It is very safe. Pets licking their fur after application will not be harmed. It's not for feeding directly like the fossil shell flour however.

D-20 Fire Ant:
Diatomaceous Earth. This type of DE is used to kill Fire Ants and any other type of ground nesting soft bodied bug you may need to eliminate quickly.

The third it harmful to animals I believe.

Back
Top Bottom