Another Electrical Question... Help Please?

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I recently posted about converting a 3 prong washer/dryer unit cord to a 4 prong to match the receptacle in my wall. So you told me all I had to do was change the cord, which was great news so I ran out and got one.

One of you (sorry I don't recall who at the moment) even linked me to these excellent instructions on how to do it:

http://electrical.about.com/od/appliances/ss/4wireto3wiredryercord.htm

I printed out all 8 steps, but have one question. In the instructions, it shows a WHITE cord as the built in ground wire, connected to a GREEN GROUND NUT. It says to remove that white wire and connect it in combination with the white wire from the new cord, into the center position.

Well, my built in ground wire that connects to the GREEN GROUND NUT is GREEN, not white.

So my question is: Do I still do the above, only it would be combining my GREEN GROUND WIRE with the WHITE wire from the cord in to the center position (flanked on each side by the red and black hot wires). So, the green wire from my new cord would go to the ground screw, and then the green built in wire would now be moved into the center, along with the white from my new cord (green & white would be combined in the center position).

Do I understand this correctly???

Part of me is scared, but part of me says this can't be that complicated and that I can do it! With a little assistance, that is.

The green wire you speak of is the same as the white wire would be(bonding neutral to ground). It is coming from the neutral of the dryer. By connecting it back to the middle stud all you are doing is looping the wire back to itself thus disabling it without it just hanging there.

Correct, if you actually tear into the machine you will see that the green wire originates from the middle stud(neutral). It's green because it was the ground(bonding)as it left the factory. Make sure you turn off the breaker before plugging it in. When you get the cord on, plug it in, then turn on the breaker. It's just safer!

Quote:
Well, I don't mean to get complicated on you, but I'm not sure which breaker goes to the washer and dryer! Just moved into the house and there are several double breakers unlabeled. I don't see any labeled for the w/d. Is there an easy way to figure out which one goes to it?

Okay, I just checked and see two sets of 30 amps. How do I know which of those two it is? (both are unlabeled, of course)
roll.png

Without a test light/meter or something plugged into the receptacle, you won't know. I have 4-30's...dryer, stove, water heater, well pump. If you're not sure, you could always turn them both off. Just be careful when plugging in the dryer. Keep your hands back from the plug spades, align the plug, and turn your face away while plugging it in. I'm not trying to scare you, just be careful.

Okay, not to sound too stupid (I'm electrical illiterate): You are saying that I can shut off both 30 amp breakers, plug in the w/d carefully as you described, and then what? Turn one breaker on and try to turn on the dryer to see if it works? And if not, then do the same with the other one?

If you want to be super duper sure about which breaker to flip, you can flip the main breaker to the entire house (big one at the top usually). That way there is no power coming into the panel at all, so if you have chosen the wrong one it won't kill you.

Good luck and be careful.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom