Another feed question.... recommendations for all flock organic pellets?

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Here I am again. First I had asked about layer pellets, here I am again.

This time I’ve decided to go with an all flock feed, and feed calcium on the side (as I might have a rooster, and I also have 10 week olds, 1 week olds, and laying chickens.) So I think it would be simplest to stick to an all flock feed, at least for now.

Here are the “requirements” for a feed.

Must be Organic.
Can be fed to the whole flock of mixed ages.
Highly preferable: pellets
18-20% protein
Fairly inexpensive: under 60 dollars for 100#? It’s ok if it’s a little more than that, I would be using Scratch and Peck but it’s really expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone? Guessing I’m to picky.... 😅

I guess I will use the non organic all flock feed until they’re laying, then switch to a layer pellet, as it seems hard to find organic all flock.

Unfortunately, most of the organic feeds only have 16% protein. I wonder why that is? Do you think that that would be ok, even in winter?

It's not so much that you're too picky, but you're asking for something that doesn't really exist. The only organic grower pellets I've been able to get is Modesto Milling (don't recall protein %) and my flock hated it.

I don't like crumble or I'd use Payback organic Hatch-to-Hen.

I wouldn't feed pellets to 1 week olds.

This is probably why I feed 2 different feeds. :)

To me organic is overhyped. Organic does not mean pesticide free and most of the time growing organically means farmers have to use more pesticides.
When it comes to a organically grown carrot or a non organic grown carrot nutrition wise they are identical. I have been growing lettuce hydroponically on and off for years and I tried organic but it just didn't work as well, organic tends to go off after a while. So any lettuce I would grow and feed my chickens would not be organic.
Have I felt any sideffects from not eating organically? I wouldn't say so, I think having a well formulated fertilizer over an organic (ie cow manure for example) can achieve better results and thus more nutrition in the lettuce.
There are things to avoid when it comes to feed. I would always avoid artificial colors. They cause health problems, same for artificial flavors. Some don't like GM-modified ingredients. I'm undecided on that one, not enough evidence but going with traditional non GM- feed has always known to be fine.
But organic vs nonorganic just reflects the additional pesticides the farmer had to use and probably the reduced crop he got growing 100% organically with no help from science we have developed over the past 100 years to help us grow better crops.

I use this

142843_PT1._AC_SL1500_V1578496704_.jpg 142843_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1578496700_.jpg

AND. this,

Organic-Layer-Pellets-Grub-Protein-_-Front-1.png

It's not so much that you're too picky, but you're asking for something that doesn't really exist. The only organic grower pellets I've been able to get is Modesto Milling (don't recall protein %) and my flock hated it.

I don't like crumble or I'd use Payback organic Hatch-to-Hen.

I wouldn't feed pellets to 1 week olds.

This is probably why I feed 2 different feeds. :)
Oh, the 1 week olds are in the house eating (non-organic) crumbles right now. The 10 week olds and full grown hens are eating the pellets outside. Sorry, I didn’t make that clear!

Thanks! I guess it is hard to find what I want... everything’s to be perfect! (And for a good price)

To me organic is overhyped. Organic does not mean pesticide free and most of the time growing organically means farmers have to use more pesticides.
When it comes to a organically grown carrot or a non organic grown carrot nutrition wise they are identical. I have been growing lettuce hydroponically on and off for years and I tried organic but it just didn't work as well, organic tends to go off after a while. So any lettuce I would grow and feed my chickens would not be organic.
Have I felt any sideffects from not eating organically? I wouldn't say so, I think having a well formulated fertilizer over an organic (ie cow manure for example) can achieve better results and thus more nutrition in the lettuce.
There are things to avoid when it comes to feed. I would always avoid artificial colors. They cause health problems, same for artificial flavors. Some don't like GM-modified ingredients. I'm undecided on that one, not enough evidence but going with traditional non GM- feed has always known to be fine.
But organic vs nonorganic just reflects the additional pesticides the farmer had to use and probably the reduced crop he got growing 100% organically with no help from science we have developed over the past 100 years to help us grow better crops.
Oh, ok! I just know that for a while I was selling eggs that are organic, and my customers liked that. My sister (Starburst) originally used organic feed and liked it, but I couldn’t find too much organic starter near me.

So organic uses pesticides? But this is what I found online. Sorry, im probably just really confused and an idiot.
1E3BEA5B-C0C2-45B7-A358-6F8920CD1973.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom