another feed question

thekid

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Ford City, Pennsylvania
Ok so I was looking at feed the other day and the guy wanted me to buy Blue Ribbion feed so he handed me a panthlet and it had two different things in it that would work kinda lol. It had a MEDICATED 28 percent protien and a 22 percent UNMEDICATED. they were both for game birds/ turkey if there too big i could smash it up. And he said that he sells 22 tons of blue ribbion every week and 7 tons of purina every week he said he could still order purina just it would cost more... So which one?

Good question. I had heard the medicated can cause the quail to become sterile, but we will have to wait for one of the experts to wonder in. Mine, due to a feed formulation change from my local source, is only 22%. I am feeding my new batch of chicks the 22% feed but I am also giving them some chopped up hard boiled duck egg too. They love it and so far so good.
fl.gif

Protein is the #1, right? followed by fresh water, and rest. we want to put as much usable protein, with correct complement of amino acids, into the little flesh making factories as possible for every bite for ~8-10 weeks?

Lucky we have FRM I guess, but look at the ingredients list and how they bump up soy meal, alfalfa, poultry-by-product to achieve higher % protein in their feeds., first ingredient in FRM GBS is corn... I am considering mixing the poultry concentrate now, it was $20/50#, an extra 10% protein per bite for $4 more/50#?. I believe this is going above the called for standard of 28-30%, would not the Quail Gods approve?

I have to admit, I am tempted to try the FRM 38% CATFISH FINGERLING CRUMBLES, to mix in as well, though I know the "Quail Roo Gauntlet" I would have to endure.

I am also considering building them a whirlpool and sauna to encourage muscle recovery...

FRM GAME BIRD STARTER 28%

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, Min. 28.00%
Crude Fat, Min. 3.00%
Crude Fiber, Max. 7.00%

INGREDIENTS:
Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Poultry By Product Meal, Wheat Middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Whey Product, Animal Fat stabilized with BHA (a preservative), Limestone, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Yeast Culture, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Brewers Dried Yeast, and Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Zinc Methionine, DL-Methionine, Ethoxyquin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, D-Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, and Sodium Selenite.

FRM POULTRY MIX CONCENTRATE 38%

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, Min. 38.00%
Lysine, Min. 2.40%
Methionine, Min. 0.60%
Crude Fat, Min. 2.50%
Crude Fiber, Max. 7.00%
Calcium, Min. 4.25%
Calcium, Max. 5.25%
Phosphorus, Min. 2.00%
Salt, Min. 1.00%
Salt, Max. 2.00%

INGREDIENTS:
Soybean Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Poultry By Product Meal, Wheat Middlings, Dried Whey Products, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ground Limestone, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, and Calcium Iodate.

FRM 38% CATFISH FINGERLING CRUMBLES

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, Min. 38.00%
Crude Fat, Min. 2.50%
Crude Fiber, Max. 6.50%

INGREDIENTS:
Soybean Meal, Fish Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Wheat Middlings, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascobyl-2-Polyposphate (Ascorbic Acid Supplement), Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Iron Carbonate and Sodium Selenite.

So, maybe see if you can find "concentrate", ground soymeal, and/or dehydrated alfalfa meal to add to the 22% feed, provided it is reasonable $$$ for quality protein.

good luck ya'll!

Last edited:
Quote:
I've also heard that it causes sterility. I feed mine 28% medicated starter until they are at least 8 weeks old. If it is laying season everyone gets medicated. It's all I can find in my area for GBS. If it is the 'off' season (I do not keep lights on my birds through the winter and don't expect them to lay much) then they get either 16% non-medicated egg ration or 20% medicated chick starter, whichever I have more of on-hand. My last hatch had 100% fertility and 90% hatch so I don't think it's affecting them in that aspect. I feed them the higher protein feed (aka GBS medicated starter) during laying season because they lay much better with it. In the off-season they don't lay as much, if at all, and don't need the extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom