another first timer

katysbirds

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
We put eggs in incubator on 3/10/13. When can we candle them to see if we can chicks growing inside? So far temps are ranging from 97 to 99 and humidity around 60-65%. Is this good?

You can most likely candle them..you can also drop the humidity down a bit until their ready to hatch.. It shod be around 40-50% right now and hatch time should be up above 60%.

welcome-byc.gif

X2 the above. The humidity is too high. Also the temperature is a little low at 97*, try at keep it at 99* or as close to as possible. Lower temps will delay the embryo's development and the hatch. You can candle them any time, but you may not be able to see much yet, depending on how thick and dark the egg shell is and how strong the light is. Do not discard any eggs before the 10 day candling. If any eggs are clear then you can toss them. Best of luck with your hatch!

I agree with dropping humidity. I run even drier than that. When you candle you'll see the air cell. By monitoring its size you can adjust humidity as needed.

If your air cell is smaller than the diagram indicates, and I suspect it will be much smaller, then you want to accelerate it's growth by drying it out. You could even run the incubator a few days without any water then go with 40% RH and candle again day 14 to see how your doing. The air cell needs to be of size to hold the chicks head when it internally pips prior to pipping and zipping the shell. So it contains the first air for the bird and without it the chicks drown.

Your incubator if a forced air, fan, should be 99.5F and if a still air 101-102F measured at top level of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom