Another flock of chickens in Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kari P, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Kari P

Kari P New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    Just wanted to introduce myself, as I joined this morning (in need if some chicken advice) from Washington state. It appears there are a lot of us Washingtonians here. :) Thank you for all the advice you share! It is so helpful! I have just a little flock of 8 Black Australorps and am patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for our first egg. Still waiting ...

2. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

So what's your question? :D

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - patience is a virtue. [​IMG]

4. Kari P

Kari P New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    Well, I posted my question on another thread because I thought this was mainly for just introductions. But here's my question ... My chickens are 22 1/2 weeks old and still not laying any eggs. I was told they should begin laying between 19 and 20 weeks. They used to be free range, but then coyotes took two so they mostly spend their time in the coop with just breaks outside when I can supervise them. They have fresh water, layer feed, and a light that is on from 5 AM to 5 PM. What else am I missing?

5. fosterson

LOL! I found and answered your other thread, but to repeat myself:

Patience :)

They're just at the far end of old enough to lay, and with winter coming on, even artificial lighting might not be enough to kick them in. Rest assured they will lay eventually.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Hope your first eggs show up soon.

7. Kari P

Kari P New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    I see that some say to stop feeding them layer feed? Thoughts?

8. fosterson

What? Oh no! Keep feeding them layer feed. If they're on the cusp of laying the last thing you want to do is change their diets. It will cause them stress which will certainly delay their laying. If anything, add some small protein filled snacks like mealworms, canned low-salt low fat turkey or tuna, or some black oil sunflower seeds!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    are you sure they are all girls???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by