Another Friday Night, And My Husband's Up A Tree.

mom'sfolly :

No one in my family hunts now. And where we live, I don't think I can support the way hunting is done. It doesn't seem fair to feed deer for six months, and then go out and shoot them. You might as well set up your stand in someone's pasture and kill a cow.

We don't do that here-I mean I suppose some people do, but not our families. We are out there in the woods calling in bulls and looking for fresh deer sign. If we get an animal, it's because we worked for it.​

If I don’t go hunting, I make cookies and freeze them for Christmas. But if I do go,

we go to the state game lands where we walk. We don’t feed the deer. WE HUNT for them.

Except, sometimes I like to sit down by a tree with the sun on me and take a little nap.
A lot of times I wake to see the doe going right by me and I let them go.

We save a lot of money by hunting. We eat the meat we kill. Now I’m hungry.

I think the issue here with feeding and hunting is that there is almost no public land for hunting. Most hunting here is done on deer leases and it is for profit. If you are paying for the right to hunt, you want a guarantee you will get something. Growing up in the west, there were vast amounts of public land to hunt on, so hunting was and is done differently.

mom'sfolly :

I think the issue here with feeding and hunting is that there is almost no public land for hunting. Most hunting here is done on deer leases and it is for profit. If you are paying for the right to hunt, you want a guarantee you will get something. Growing up in the west, there were vast amounts of public land to hunt on, so hunting was and is done differently.

Oh I see, we don't have that here. We go in the woods. Sometimes it's not public land and we need to get the ok to go on their land.​

I enjoy my peace and quiet during hunting season
tongue.png
I love it when he goes out to park in the tree stand , my bad?
big_smile.png

I understand what you mean about "the hunting season blues". Yeah, I love the meat when he brings it home, but weekend afterweekend gets VERY boring.

Ninja, my dearest, unless you actually WANT to go hunting, just skip it.

I am a firm believer in married people needing time to do their own stuff. It makes the other person much more attractive, whatever it is they do on their own, if they have some of their own things going on with their own buddies.

My husband doesn't hunt (I canNOT even begin to imagine it; he was raised seriously Quaker) but he does disappear to the movies with a neighbor friend, and he meets certain other guys to play music and jam and fool around . . . guitars, not a rifle, but its kinda the same thing.

Then there's another friend who calls him when things are rough at home,a nd I bet he calls Mark too when he and I are getting on each other's nerves.

I'm with the folks talking about bubble baths, poker, soap making. Let the guy hang out in his own darned tree, y'know? Metaphorically speaking.

Since I couldn't beat 'em, I joined 'em! Alas, I don't bow hunt and it's bow season here in MI till Jan 1! However, I can join in the tree stand fun on Nov. 15th. If I want to, I can take it or leave it. With food prices going up all the time though, I may be a little more dedicated this year. Plus, we give any extra meat to those less well off.

(But, I may tune in here a bit more, too.
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom