Another Friday Night, And My Husband's Up A Tree.

Wow, jealousy. I wish my BF would go hunting and leave me in peace for a couple of days. After two days of blissful microwave meals and sandwiches, I'd be more than happy to roast some venison. I love cooking, but some days I just want to veg out, let the dishes pile up and watch movies. Unfortunately, if there's to be deer, it will be because I killed, cleaned it and cooked it.

I go waterfowl hunting with my DH. I have to wait till the kids are off to school so I don't go on the early morning hunts when its really good. But I get out there when the geese and ducks came ion from the fields. And I go dove hunting now as well. We are going to be going out this year and trying our hand at deer. With six mouths to feed we could use all the meat we can get. My last anniversary I got my own 12 gauge lol. This year I got electric collars for our two dogs and kennel decking for them as well. ( why do i get stuff for the dogs for my anniversary
hu.gif
)
Today my chore is to make bread and clean guns lol.

Quote:
I have been thinking about meat birds but was worried about butchering time as I thought my neighbors would have fits... until I saw a neighor further down the road hanging his dear in the front yard.

Now not so worried about a few meat birds.

Quote:
I always cut off enough to fry up then, and then the rest is cubed, wrapped and frozen. When I said processed, I really meant skinned, gutted and made ready to be taken to be processed for the freezer. We have the steaks cubed, and then the rest is ground to use like hamburger and then we also have some made into bulk sausage. The cubed steaks will melt in your mouth!

Quote:
I have to keep my daughter inside during this time, because they hang the deer up on the frame of her swingset. Trust me, this would NOT go over well with her. :eek:

My BIL does the same thing, but they live in a subdivision in town, with close neighbors on all sides.

I usually enjoy the free time that DH's hunting trips allow. Not this year. Just to make everyone else feel good about having some spare time on their hands, I'll relate what my days have been like since DH left Sunday.

The hunting trip is for Sitka blacktail deer. He left Sunday for Sitkanak Island, which is an island at the southern tip of Kodiak Island and only accessible by boat or small plane. They have a satellite phone for emergency only, so no contact from him untiil his return on Saturday. No problem, I'm used to that. But.....

on Sunday our lift system for our sewer started to overflow. Couldn't get a plumber out that day so couldn't do laundry or let the girls shower without raw sewage flowing into the backyard (also couldn't let the ducks and chickens out 'cause they wanted to play in the "water"!)

Was getting ready to take my girls 4-wheeling right after DH left when my 8 year old told me it didn't feel good when she went to the bathroom and she had to go every 5 minutes - urinary tract infection. Ended up cancelling the 4-wheeling trip Sunday and staying home with her Monday (I'm the primary breadwinner) and making her chug cranberry juice. Meanwhile, remember our sewer is stalled, so everytime she ran to the bathroom with the constant urge and flushed the toilet it pumped more raw sewage into the yard! FINALLY got the plumber out Monday afternoon after several phone calls.

Yesterday had to fly to the other side of the island for work - after making arrangements to have someone check on my daughter when she got home from school since I wouldn't be home until after 6pm and our teenager, whose an exchange student from Denmark and can't drive, had cheerleading practice until 5pm (which I had to find a way to get her home from!).

Then, last night, as I was trying to get caught up on laundry, my washing machine decided to call it quits on the spin cycle. I had to hand-wring the load of towels before putting them in the dryer. Called the ONLY appliance repair guy on the island and he said he "might" be able to come out Friday.

And to top it all off, I have a slow leak in my truck tire that seems to be getting faster.

Sigh....

And it's only Wednesday. DH doesn't get home until sometime Saturday.

It's not that I can't handle all this - but Geez! Give a girl a break!!!

Thanks for listening! And I'm taking all of your advice and next time it will be ME going and leaving him at home!

Kodiakchicken,

Sound like you have the kind of luck my sister does. She lives in Juneau, and he hunts on Admiralty. Same situation, he flys in and flys out whenever its time. Frequently he gets socked in and ends up having to stay longer. My sister doesn't have kids, but it seems like every he's gone some crisis comes up. My sister is very capable, but I think she's getting superstious about the hunting trip.

Hope your daughter is better, and the repair guy gets there soon.

Do you know any of the Mulcahy's?

mom'sfolly -

Thanks for the good wishes. I don't know the Mulcahy's. Are they in Juneau or Kodiak?

Yep, my luck this time around has been nuts. It's to the point where I just have to vent a little and then laugh about it. What else can you do?

I really shouldn't complain though, since I work in a lot of remote locations and it's usually him at home dealing with all these issues alone!

They were a Kodiak family. Years ago I went to high school with Mary, her dad was in the lege so he spent half the time in Juneau and half in Kodiak. She had a bunch of sisters and one brother. Last I knew she lived in Anchorage, but I was just wondering if they are still around.

I'm curious though, what do you do when you are not feilding diasters at home? I've been thinking about all the Alaska type jobs that involve flying around.

Sorry for thread hijacking.....

My dh doesn't hunt, nor do I, but the ds spends alot of time in trees. He doesn't hunt either; he just likes to hang out in trees. If I didn't know who his parents were, I'd think there was a monkey in the family.

Last edited:
OH i love this time of year....i hate the cold (i have reynauds disease- normally an elderly persons disease but being predisposed to connective tissue disease I have been blessed with it- it can be really painful) but bundling up and going out during the gun season for deer is my favorite! I've never archery hunted, and I don't think I ever will, I perfer my shot bring the animal down right in it's tracks so theres no suffering but that's me (as most cases an archer has to search for it's deer- i have nothing against archery hunting, it's just my own personal feelings that I won't archery hunt animals- may do target practice someday with one though it seems fun)!

In the 8 years I've known and been with my husband, I have never seen him take down a deer, though he did get a doe one year when we were just bf/gf, but the poor guy took out a doe that had gangreen (from an archers poor shot)...and by the time the game commission got him a new tag, the season was over.

I got a gorgeous 9pt buck last year with my trusty shotgun, it's been almost a year now ofcourse, still waiting on him back from the taxidermist! Grr!

I've been hunting deer since I was 16, before then I was against it.
smile.png

Here in PA, feeding wildlife (like deer) isn't allowed, though oddly stores still sell the feed and feeders. Anywhere we hunt is privately owned land that is allowed to be hunted on, the only thing that goes on in those woods is quad and horse back riding.

We do give an 'offering' to the deer every year though, my dad has made a tradition of it. He picks the reddest freshest apple in our home and places it in the woods before he sets off to his spot....I have picked up the tradition and I do it as well. My dad jokes around and says "it's an offering to the deer gods"...though im sure a chipmunk makes a great meal of it.

So yep i hunt right along with hubby, I actually won't go hunting without him, I'm a wimp in the woods by myself even with my gun...and im a good shot! LOL!

I can't wait to go out this year!
big_smile.png

Niki

Back
Top Bottom