Another gift today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jomoncon, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Songster

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    The weather is really nice today, so I'm at the computer with a cup of coffee. The back door is open when all of a sudden I hear the famous egg song! 2 of my 8 little RIRs started laying this week & one has just announced to me that she's left me a gift. This makes egg #5. So far, all the eggs are small - 41 to 44 grams, but we finally have enough for DH & I to have a meal.
    [​IMG]
    I suppose at some point I'll get accustomed to getting eggs that each one won't be a major event for me. When all 8 start laying & I'm getting 6 or 7 or even 8 eggs a day, maybe it won't be so exciting.

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I don't know about everyone else, but I STILL get excited when I go out to the coop! I love those little surprises because you never know exactly what you're going to get when you reach in that nest! [​IMG]

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Songster

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I thank my girls every time I get to the coop. It never gets old.

This is my first winter (very snow intensive too) with chickens so having to shovel out all that snow and ice I would of thought I would be sick of them for just existing. But nope I still go out all the time to say hi and see what they are up to.

Now I am even more excited because I am incubating their eggs.

4. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:I'm still excited when I open the nest boxes and take a peep inside, and it's great when all my hens lay on the same day.

Have you washed those eggs? if so be careful, by washing the eggs you're removing the protective bloom. the bloom protects the egg against bacteria. If you do need to clean them use a dry cloth or brush.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    we put a clicker in the coop to count the eggs. We are approaching 5000, and it is STILL exciting! [​IMG]

congratultions on the eggs! [​IMG]

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Love those eggs!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  7. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Great colored eggs!

And I'm alway excited whne I checxk the nest boxes because we have some many diffrent breeds that you never know what you'll get!

8. jomoncon

jomoncon Songster

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:A clicker. What a great idea!!

BTW, I got an additional egg later today - in the pouring rain. But when I heard that egg song, I just had to go out & see what was left. Now I have a total of 6 egg! DH & I will have them for dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: