Another gift today!

jomoncon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
The weather is really nice today, so I'm at the computer with a cup of coffee. The back door is open when all of a sudden I hear the famous egg song! 2 of my 8 little RIRs started laying this week & one has just announced to me that she's left me a gift. This makes egg #5. So far, all the eggs are small - 41 to 44 grams, but we finally have enough for DH & I to have a meal.
Chickens-2011-03-05-001.jpg

I suppose at some point I'll get accustomed to getting eggs that each one won't be a major event for me. When all 8 start laying & I'm getting 6 or 7 or even 8 eggs a day, maybe it won't be so exciting.

I don't know about everyone else, but I STILL get excited when I go out to the coop! I love those little surprises because you never know exactly what you're going to get when you reach in that nest!
big_smile.png

I thank my girls every time I get to the coop. It never gets old.

This is my first winter (very snow intensive too) with chickens so having to shovel out all that snow and ice I would of thought I would be sick of them for just existing. But nope I still go out all the time to say hi and see what they are up to.

Now I am even more excited because I am incubating their eggs.

Quote:
I'm still excited when I open the nest boxes and take a peep inside, and it's great when all my hens lay on the same day.

Have you washed those eggs? if so be careful, by washing the eggs you're removing the protective bloom. the bloom protects the egg against bacteria. If you do need to clean them use a dry cloth or brush.

Quote:
A clicker. What a great idea!!

BTW, I got an additional egg later today - in the pouring rain. But when I heard that egg song, I just had to go out & see what was left. Now I have a total of 6 egg! DH & I will have them for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom