Another guess

RonC

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 28, 2012
East Texas
I posted pics when they were younger and most said Red Stars. They did have lighter colored tips on their feathers when younger but have since almost gone away. Two are a dark mahogony color now. there's a pic of one of them. The others are a lighter color red but none have any white under feathers. They all have some black feathers but you can't see them in the pics.Also the lighter color ones heads are larger than the darker ones. They came from TSC and I was told red pullets, same breed but I'm wondering now if the darker ones are RIR. RIR, NH, RSL,Production Red were the possiblities on the sign. Any guesses on them?

lighter ones

Darker one

OK, cause my RSLs have a lot more white in them then those. If PRs where the same thing I was gonna give a another opinion, but if they are different, then yeah they wouldn't look like mine anyway.

They are similar in that they are both hybrids, but look much different from one another.

Red SLs are hybrids that take advantage of a genetic quirk that happens when you cross two specifically colored birds. This produces chicks that can be gender ID'ed by color the moment they hatch.

Production Reds are a hybrid developed by blending a number of high production egg-layers. The genders are not easily told apart at birth except by professional vent checkers.

Here is a picture of my Red SL to show you the big color difference:

Back
Top Bottom