ANOTHER HAWK ATTACK!!! I'm getting a dog, but is this the right breed?

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
Some hawks took away about 20 of my chicks
hit.gif
and I'm getting a dog.
wee.gif
ya.gif
A Pembroke Welsh Corgi. So the question is this: Are they the right breed? Will they protect the chickens, or eat them?
idunno.gif
hu.gif

*EDIT*: How do I train the dogs? I'm no dog expert, you see...

Does any one know what I can do in addition to the dogs? Do CDs work? How about fake owls?

Besides Corgis, are there ANY small dog that can do the job? I like small dogs...
smile.png

Thanks; Ruby:p

Last edited:
Corgis are active dogs. They are also herders. The herding instinct utilizes the predatory drive. However, with some training and proper introductions to the chickens, your Corgi could work out just fine. She may try to herd the chickens though.

I don't think the breed maters really depends on how it is trained. I would get a puppy, their easier to train. Our dog has grown up around chickens and knows they are not toys or food.

Guinea fowl give off alarm calls and are very loud. If you want a breed of dog to protect your chickens I would get a Great Pyrenese (sp?) I heard they are very good protecters of flocks.

Quote:
Why? What do you mean?

After a while, a dog will gave up chasing hawks, they know they can't catch them.

I just want a dog that will scare away the hawks when they come. I don't care if it kills it or not.

Is a roster an option? THere have been many stories here of roosters protecting the girls. If you want a dog, get a pup. Then you can introduce the chickens to the young pup and instill very early they are off limits. Mix breeeds are good options too. The insticts are not so ingrained. Also what about covering your run?

Back
Top Bottom