Another hawk thread.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by budda, Aug 16, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    I live in the city of Atlanta and my wife called me yesterday and said a hawk swooped into our tiny back yard while she was watering the plants with the chickens, and grabbed one of our 12 week old pullets. Ripped a good amount of feathers out but my wife said she kicked the hawk off our pullet. I asked her to say that again and she said the hawk did not want to leave so she kicked it. She said it flopped about a minute then flew up into an oak tree which is in the yard next door. After a few minutes the hawk flew off.

Will hawks attack full grown standards as well? The one that was ruffled is an Easter Egger.

Wife said all 7 would not come out from under the bushes along the fence, even when tempted with watermelon and crickets, their favorites.

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yes, they will attack a full grown standard. I have lost a few to them.

3. budda

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Was not a hawk, it was a gyrfalcon I believe

4. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    I am not saying they will not attack a full size chicken but once mine reached bantam size the hawk stopped attacking mine. I lost 6 before they got that big though. Not sure if the chickens got smarter and watch/hide now or if the hawk gave up on the larger ones. The last one I lost was not taken only the head and internals were missing. 5 before that only a pile of feathers remained.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Not likely a gyrfalcon. You are too far south unless it belongs to a falconer. It maybe a juvenile of one species or another. Sometimes juveniles a little tough to ID unless you are familiar with hawks.

Most likely candidates in your area for attacking 12 week standard size chickens are red-tailed hawk and Coopers Hawk. Another possible but you are still a bit south for is the goshawk.

Flocks of juvenile and females only make more tempting targets for hawks.

6. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Wow. Just minutes ago the same thing happened to me. I have a flock of about 20 or so birds. I hear a cry, maybe 12 feet from where I sat, and right next to my dog, to see this massive bird standing proudly atop one of my young bantam roos. I threw a bagel (it was the closest thing I could grab, and he attempted to take off with my bird...

Into the trees it disappeared...and my little guy is wrapped in a shirt under a heat lamp. I see no blood, and he has since stood up, but he won't open his eyes. I imagine he is terrified.

It took a good scare to get my larger bantam hens to run from under the bush and into the coop.

It was amazing to see - but quite sad. [​IMG]

7. budda

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    I actually am a wildlife nut and know a bit about hawks and falcons. This one was a falcon, but I am not sure which one. I was told today That it's to early for certain migratory falcons to be in the area but not 4 miles or so by the way the crow flies, there are Peregrine falcons which either just fledged or are about to fledge in down town ATL. I guess it is not to far fetched but in any case, I have been watching out. If it was a peregrine, it'd be the second time I ever saw one in the wild.

The coloration was very similar to that of a gyrfalcon which is why I thought it might have been one.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by