Hawk killed my pullet...just wanted to vent.

A few years ago , a buzzard took one of my girls. I kept my flock in the run and netted covered run after this event. For about 2 weeks the buzzard kept coming back.

After that I didn’t see him circling anymore and let my flock free range again. Preferably under supervision.

The run is big enough to keep them inside for several weeks and has 2 compartments. One part is covered with strong netting for birds of prey and the second run is covered with enforced cat netting.

I like to let them free range a couple of hours each days to keep them busy, against boredom and stress and to find weeds and insect for their health.

I'm sorry you lost Bonnie. I lost one of my favorite silkies, Penny, to a hawk about a year ago. She was the sweetest most innocent silkie, the best ones always seem like the ones that get picked off. After that day, I learned I couldn't let my chickens out without periodically checking on them or being out there when they're free ranging. It was a hard lesson learned and I will always miss my sweet Penny.

Back
Top Bottom