another humidity question ? sorry :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by florasbell, May 4, 2011.

1. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    my incubator is reading 35% i have a cat litter tray in the bottom and on the same shelve as the eggs i also have a pie tin and a jar both filled with water and it still reads 35% ill spray the sides everytime i open to turn the eggs and that will bring it up to 44% ish for a while, is 35% ok for hatching chicks i also have 1 duck egg the temp is at 99-100 i live in germany at the moment the current humidity for the area is 40% would that affect anything. thank you

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi Florabell,
    What day of incubation are you at?
    You're humidity sounds fine to me but if you are at day 18 or later, I could see bumping it up to 60%.
    I have no duck hatching experience so I don't know what the recommendations would be.

Never be sorry to ask humidity questions, it's always has the broadest range of opinions. [​IMG]

Carolyn

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I am somewhat new to hatching and I was told 40-50 for incubation and up around 60 for hatching. Mine have hatched as low as 40-45 but that's about as low as I let it go. Try putting a large sponge in the water to increase the surface area of the water! Happy hatching!

Nate

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year I was using 2 hygrometers and there was a 30% difference in them. Are you sure the hygrometer you're using is accurate? Seems like you should have enough water surface area to read over 50%.

I live in a dry climate and use a hovabator incubator. Filling the center tray with water which is a approximately 4" x 6" surface area of water it will bump my humidity up from 20% to 45%.

5. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    hi i have a mixed hatch in there i have 10 chick due 18th and duck and 10 chicks due 21st i previously had 6 geese in there ( last month) and struggled to keep the humidity around 60 ish and found it even harder in lock down at 80% maybe thats why they died in lockdown. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by