Another mating question (New Hampshire Red's if it matters)

bamachickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
I bought some New Hampshire Reds (day olds) from a local guy a few months ago. My plan was to make a flock of birds for egglaying and to produce our meat chickens (so we weren't always buying chicks). The other thread on frizzle inbreeding or linebreeding got me wondering about my chickens' situation.

I know the chicks that I have came from the same rooster, but the guy that I got them from has 8 or 9 different hens, so there is a 100% chance that in keeping a roo from this group will have him mating with a half sister. There is a slight chance that he will be mating with a true sister. Is this going to give me problems? I don't know of any others in the area with any New Hampshire reds, but if I have to, I will be looking for them asap.

I don't know why this never came up before, I guess I didn't think chickens and inbreedign would be a problem.

Thanks,

That was what I was looking for, I just didn't know where to look. I guess I should learn about the search engine. Or at least think of it before asking a question.

Back
Top Bottom