Another mite problem...

poularde

Hatching mode
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Puyallup, Wa.
So I have been battling mites for a few weeks now. I have been using the seven dust every seven days cleaned the coops washed the roosts with hot soapy water and dusted the coops with sevin dust. I gave one hen a flea shampoo because she was quite infested.

My birds free range and I do not see a way to treat the entire environment. I have added sevin dust to their favorite dust hole. I still have mites.
he.gif
I am very frustrated. I plan on continuing the dusting, but I think I need to do something else. I have seen on here about people using flea sprays on the birds. How would you apply this? I have very fluffy bird and they seem to have it the worst. If I use the flea spray can I just mist them or does it need to get to their skin?

I have thirty some birds so this will be a huge project. I really want to get rid of this problem. My poor birds. Any suggestions?

If Ivomec Eprinex (Eprinomectin) is available in your area you might want to give that a try: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/402165/eprinex-vs-ivermectin

Do you have a lot of Wild birds (feeding them?) in your area? This is the usual source of reinfestation (particularly the nests).

If this problem continues get some of these parasites in a container and see if you can't find someone at local Univ. extension service (vet) to ID the exact species (can help re: treatment).

You're on the `wet' side of the Cascades so using Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth might be a cwap shoot as an adjunct in the dirt baths (more humid it is the less effective it is). Wood ashes in dirt bathing areas are good as well.

I have been raising chickens for about 8 years and last January my hens started to loose their feathers.
I went to the local feed / supply store and bought diatomaceous earth, the pellets for the floor and the flour type for dusting.
I cleaned the pen and put a good layer of the pellet diatomaceous earth on the floor and wood shavings and dusted the chickens. You can also get a sprayer for this product and dust the walls, nesting boxes...etc. I also leave a container with the flour diatomaceous earth with shavings so they can have a dust bath. I saw results immediately.
If the chickens eat some of it, this product won't hurt them.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the replies. I have ordered the Eprinex. I choose to not use chemicals, but this has been beyond my control for too long. Waiting to receive it in the mail. I hope that after using it I will be able to use preventive measures in the future. I have had chickens for about three years now and this is my first pest issue. Thank you ivan3 for the link.

Back
Top Bottom