Another mite problem...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by poularde, Mar 22, 2012.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    So I have been battling mites for a few weeks now. I have been using the seven dust every seven days cleaned the coops washed the roosts with hot soapy water and dusted the coops with sevin dust. I gave one hen a flea shampoo because she was quite infested.

My birds free range and I do not see a way to treat the entire environment. I have added sevin dust to their favorite dust hole. I still have mites. [​IMG] I am very frustrated. I plan on continuing the dusting, but I think I need to do something else. I have seen on here about people using flea sprays on the birds. How would you apply this? I have very fluffy bird and they seem to have it the worst. If I use the flea spray can I just mist them or does it need to get to their skin?

I have thirty some birds so this will be a huge project. I really want to get rid of this problem. My poor birds. Any suggestions?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If Ivomec Eprinex (Eprinomectin) is available in your area you might want to give that a try: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/402165/eprinex-vs-ivermectin

Do you have a lot of Wild birds (feeding them?) in your area? This is the usual source of reinfestation (particularly the nests).

If this problem continues get some of these parasites in a container and see if you can't find someone at local Univ. extension service (vet) to ID the exact species (can help re: treatment).

You're on the `wet' side of the Cascades so using Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth might be a cwap shoot as an adjunct in the dirt baths (more humid it is the less effective it is). Wood ashes in dirt bathing areas are good as well.

3. Bethanycol

Bethanycol New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    I have been raising chickens for about 8 years and last January my hens started to loose their feathers.
    I went to the local feed / supply store and bought diatomaceous earth, the pellets for the floor and the flour type for dusting.
    I cleaned the pen and put a good layer of the pellet diatomaceous earth on the floor and wood shavings and dusted the chickens. You can also get a sprayer for this product and dust the walls, nesting boxes...etc. I also leave a container with the flour diatomaceous earth with shavings so they can have a dust bath. I saw results immediately.
    If the chickens eat some of it, this product won't hurt them.
    Hope this helps.

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Thank you for the replies. I have ordered the Eprinex. I choose to not use chemicals, but this has been beyond my control for too long. Waiting to receive it in the mail. I hope that after using it I will be able to use preventive measures in the future. I have had chickens for about three years now and this is my first pest issue. Thank you ivan3 for the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by