Another Mixed Age Feed Question . . .

thechickonthehill

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Sadieville, KY
I have 6, 15 week old pullets (LF Cochins and Brahmas) and 6, 3 week old chicks (SFs and EEs). In another week or so I plan to move the chicks out to the coop in their brooder box. Once I let them out of the box and integrate them with the older pullets, what is the best thing to feed them all?
hu.gif
I did a search regarding this but wanted a little clarification if possible as I am a chicken novice and want to be sure I do things the right way. After reading the search info, it looks like I can feed everyone a starter/grower feed (that's what they are all eating now) and once my older girls start laying, just keep some oyster shell out for them. Then, when my younger ones start laying (which I realize may not be 'til next spring), everyone can be switched to layer pellets. Does this sound like a plan that will keep everyone healthy? I am not really sure when to expect the bigger girls to start laying since they are very large breeds and I know they take longer to mature. Any advice on this from more experienced "chicken wranglers" would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this question so feel free to move to the appropriate area!

Last edited:
Your biggest problem may not be the feed. The bigger ones may pick on the smaller ones. It's best to make sure that everybody is the same size before they are integrated.

When I put my juveniles out with the older birds, I use Purina Flockraiser and keep a dish of oyster shell out.

Back
Top Bottom