Another mystery for the BC brain trust

pictures of the liver
336811784_6211292412261264_2238560134942718008_n.jpg

336829199_574871114594996_5176949577401920132_n.jpg

Sorry for your loss. She may have suffered from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease from the bleeding, large amount of fat, and tannish liver. We can’t see that much in the pictures though. Your state vet is a good source to identify what a chicken dies from, or if there is something contagious, and here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Have any of the chickens had any lameness or paralysis?

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. She may have suffered from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease from the bleeding and tannish liver. We can’t see that much in the pictures though. Your state vet is a good source to identify what a chicken dies from, or if there is something contagious, and here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Have any of the chickens had any lameness or paralysis?
tis one as was stated earlier couldn't walk and hardly stand the other's where just found in the morning dead. This is the only one that we had any warning.

The FLHS certainly seems the most plausible and I Googled the symptoms and the wife said the livers where surrounded in fat..probably what mine and our Bassett's look like. I marred Paula Dean's Sister lol

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of the intestines or other organs? The yellow fluid that came out is from ascites (water belly,) and is from liver disease that is seen in fatty liver, cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, and heart failure. Sometimes fatty liver disease is caused by feeding too many treats or corn. With multiple deaths, and with the one who could not walk, I would get a necropsy next time to look for Mareks.

Do you have any pictures of the intestines or other organs? The yellow fluid that came out is from ascites (water belly,) and is from liver disease that is seen in fatty liver, cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, and heart failure. Sometimes fatty liver disease is caused by feeding too many treats or corn. With multiple deaths, and with the one who could not walk, I would get a necropsy next time to look for Mareks.

The carcass has been disposed of and will be used to attract coyotes tonight.

We are running with the FLHD and treats are done with and hope for the best. We are just poor farm people and it's not apriority to drop $$ into Hen Health care other than the basics. That being said we certainly appreciate all your interest and help. IF another goes down we will review this thread. We have had good luck with pervious flocks of other breeds, this is the first time we have had Buffs and not sure what we will replace our lost one's with but not thinking Buffs as they are not easy to find nor cheap.

All That being said this is the first flock of Hens that we have not let free range the yard simply due to the small size of the flock and they did not seem to mind the Hawks flying over them so maybe they where not warry enough to look for cover. We kept them in their enclosed covered yard for their own protection. Lessons learned

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom