Another Nerf Dart Chicken

OK, first things first, I have no idea about chickens, a friend gave a chick to my daughter 6'ish months ago and she has fallen in love raising this chicken. It just swallowed a nerf dart, which is roughly the size of a persons index finger. There are a couple of threads here and there in this forum with the same issue...but never a response as to what has happened to the chicken. My guess is that it will kill it because it is such a big object and will get stuck in its digestive tract, but like I said I have no idea about chickens. The terrible thing is yesterday was my little girls 9th birthday and the only thing she wanted was the "Barbie Chicken Farmer" (yes oddly there is such a thing) and she loves pretending the Barbie is her. If anyone has any info, please share.
Can you feel the nerf dart in the crop?

Nerf darts are pretty large, I imagine the bird had a heck of a time getting it down. Are you certain she ate it? If she’s acting fine I’d say just keep an eye on her and maybe offer grit like @tripletfeb suggested
Yep she ate it. She had it in her beak and my daughter was trying to catch her and she just tipped her head back and swallowed it whole...amazing, it is big as you say. I hate to spend a ton of money on her, but daughter absolutely loves this chicken. I have to save her if it does not get too expensive.

Can you feel the nerf dart in the crop?
I tried to feel it, and the crop seems to feel quite full, but I could not feel a rigid object like the dart...but I have no idea what I was doing or how to do it. I know I succeeded in pissing the chicken off, it won't come near me now, but I have no idea if the dart was in there from feeling the bulge of the crop area.

I tried to feel it, and the crop seems to feel quite full, but I could not feel a rigid object like the dart...but I have no idea what I was doing or how to do it. I know I succeeded in pissing the chicken off, it won't come near me now, but I have no idea if the dart was in there from feeling the bulge of the crop area.
Keep us posted on how she's doing. Those are fairly soft right? Are they all foam or do they have a plastic center? If all foam, I'm hoping it will get ground up and passed right on out.

The boys darts have a rubber end that won’t pass.

By take it back, I’d use a pair of forceps and look down the gullet of the beast. If I could see it, I’d drag it back out.

Check the crop first thing this morning

What happened to your chicken?

Back
Top Bottom