Another new addition to the farm - and it was hubby's choice!

My hubby has told me earlier today that the pony is ours! Another lady came to look at her during the week but didn't want her. She will take a bit of work... but I have a few tricks up my sleeves and a bit of time on my hands so hopefully I can sort her out!

My biggest issue to start with will be catching her. She has gotten away with so much over the past year that it should all be a bit of fun! Even catching her to bring her home could be an issue! My hubby said we should go to get her tomorrow... but he hasn't mentioned anything of it since so I am not sure... All a bit exciting really.

Thanks for the link bluebird. I will definitely check it out!

I just submitted to this thread so that I can see what you do with this pretty girl. I know it is not healthy but she sure looks good with that fat on her. lol. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress with her.

Bribe her, pony's love food. Even is she hasn't had grain before the sound and smell of it will bring her running. Also get help. Pony's are wicked strong for their size. She may settle down nice and get on the trailer without a fuss or she may throw a royal tantrum.

She looks like she is in foal for sure!! Not fat!
ep.gif

NO I dont think she is in foal, just lovely with her fattness LOL! With a bit of exercise and really limit her food, she will be good to go. I think you already know what to do with her diet since you had horses yourself.

Harness training is not as hard as saddle training. I'd like to saddle train them first so I can load up the poles on either sides with the saddle so it can get used to it before actually getting the harness.

I've had minis and never had to train them for harness but I broke them to saddle and put stuff on top of them like feed bag, two pails, any odds and ends I need help carrying out to my projects.

In mares and particularly pony's the belly is the first place the weight goes when they start gaining. Once it becomes noticeable in other areas like neck and face that's pushing past pudgy and into morbidly obese. She could also need wormed on top of everything. I'm not saying she couldn't be pregnant. But The belly is where they gain first.

The new pony is home! My husband picked her up yesterday whilst I was away at a work conference. Sounds like they had fun trying to get her into the trailer to bring her home.....
hmm.png
I think she is barely halter trained from what I have heard.

My hubby has named her 'Bubbles'. I had no say in the matter!

When hubby got her home he turned her out into one of our paddock because he is yet to swing a gate on the yard I will be popping her in. Once the gate is on and I've got her into the yard, I'll get the camera clicking and post up some new photos of her. She is quite a pretty little thing.

I am just itching to get outside and spend some time with her!

Ewesheep - great ideas for breaking her to saddle. Getting her to be my mini 'pack pony' and carting her around with things on her back will make a big difference. The more stuff like that I do with her, the better kids pony she will become!

Back
Top Bottom