Another new layer!

Frstimechick

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Central Iowa
Today Marsha layed her first egg! 🥰 It's a tiny, cute little egg that weighs in at 31 grams. She's been squatting for about a week. Today she was acting very panicked and kept going in and out of the nesting box so I had feeling today would be the day! One of my other pullets, Millie, layed her first one yesterday and Marsha followed suit and layed in the nesting box right next to her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001_110348.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001_110348.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221001_112724.jpg
    20221001_112724.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221001_112330.jpg
    20221001_112330.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221001_112340.jpg
    20221001_112340.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 5
BTW: love your nesting box curtains. did you make them yourself?

Thank you! To answer your first question, we don't have a rooster so they'll be eaten. We have an EE and a maran also so we'll have a little variety to our egg colors.
The curtains I made from leftover fleece material we had for making guinea pig cage liners. For fun I'm going to change them for the different seasons/holidays.

The curtains I made from leftover fleece material we had for making guinea pig cage liners. For fun I'm going to change them for the different seasons/holidays.
ooh fun! I love sewing, so I might end up making some curtains for my hens... you know, shabby-chic french words or eiffel towers!

FYI even if you have a rooster, you should not set pullet eggs, the eggs are not big enough. You need to wait until your eggs are larger.

As to the original poster - I am green with envy. I believe I will go down this moring and mention something about cackling hens...with no eggs, come to a bad end!

FYI even if you have a rooster, you should not set pullet eggs, the eggs are not big enough. You need to wait until your eggs are larger.

As to the original poster - I am green with envy. I believe I will go down this moring and mention something about cackling hens...with no eggs, come to a bad end!
Post recipes on the coop walls for inspiration.

I ask the first one that layed every single day if she's going to give me an egg. She has a really deep voice and she just bawk baaaaawks at me! It's so funny! You should hear her egg song! We can hear it through closed windows. Thank goodness we live in the country!

Back
Top Bottom