Another new mommie in Northwestern PA

tigereyesi

Hatching
Apr 26, 2015
Hi, I just got a batch of bantams and I have been noticing that they have poop stuck to either their bottoms or just underneath there. I got them when they were 2 or 3 days old and now they are 7 days old.

I also have 10 other chicks some are AmericaNas and other are barred rocks. I didn't notice them having this issue.
Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Sounds like a classic case of pasty butt. Some get it some don't. You can soak their bottoms in a little warm water with soap and gently clean their behinds. It should clear up within a few days or so. Sometimes the stress causes them to get a little messy, but after they settle they should be ok. You can also add some electrolytes like chick saver to the water for a day and beyond that just make sure they're warm, well fed, and watered.

Also, after you wash their bums make sure you dry them as well as you can and see that they stay warm :) Good luck and congrats on your new babies!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like your chicks have pasty butt. This is where the poop sticks to their down and can block there vents making them unable to poop. It's generally caused by the chicks starting to eat chick crumb after hatch. It's the change from yolk reserves to crumb. You will need to soak the chicks butts to remove the poop. You will need to do this with warm water and not let the chicks get chilled. Adding some apple cider vinegar to the water can also help with pasty butt.
Some Vaseline under the vent can also help to stop poop sticking to the fluff.

If you type in pasty butt to the search box above lots of threads are available on this with loads of tips on removing the poop.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks I hope you are able to get them over this pasty butt.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Back
Top Bottom